3rd and 4th Grade News
Friday, September 16, 2016
This is the class weekly letter and it will be sent out on Fridays and will contain information about what we have been working on in class that week, the upcoming memory verse(s), and any upcoming events or other school related news.
Thank you to the parents who have sent in snacks. The class will be having shared snack days on hot lunch days, Tuesday and Friday. Please remember don't send in heat ups for lunch on those days.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to email me firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 209-8916. Your feedback is important to me and I appreciate it!
Parent Conferences Schedule
9 - 9:20 am Zoey, Marie Lam
9:20 - 9:40 am Gavin, Hayden & Lori Garrison
2:40 - 3 pm Jonah, Joshua & Heather Mahle
3 - 3:20 pm Trevor, Graham & Elizabeth Storey
3:20 - 3:40 pm Mia, Graham & Elizabeth Storey
9 - 9:15 am Daniel, Louis & Angie Juergens
9:15 - 9:30 am Alexis, Louis & Angie Juergens
11 - 11:20 am Matt, Bridgette Godkin
This Week in Math
Each week we are working on learning a multiplication table(s) of the week. This week we are working on the 4 times table. Students will take a pretest on Wednesday and a final graded test on Friday. We are spending time in class each day reviewing the table(s) by reciting, and doing different hands on activities. Reviewing with your students at home will definitely help!
- Reviewing rounding and the 5 and higher round up rule
- Mental math strategy of adding 10 (and 100) and subtracting the difference. This can be confusing, an example problem: 32 + 8 = , they change the 8 to a 10 so the problem is now 32 + 10 = 42, the next step is to subtract the extra ones 42 - 2 = 40. This is just one strategy to help them do math problems in their head, I always tell students different strategies work for different people, try this to see if it works for them.
- Using estimation to help determine if an answer is reasonable.
- Finding common factors and the greatest common factor of two whole numbers.
- Identifying prime and composite numbers.
This week in Reading & Writing
We have started working on Daily 5 components and have learned all 5 components - read to self, listen to reading, read with someone, word work, and work on writing. Next week we will start these rotations in our class during our Daily 5 time.
3rd grade is working on and this will be reinforced in the following weeks:
- Using the correct side of the paper to write on, the three holes to the left, red line on the left, and name and date up in the top right hand corner
- Indenting the first line of a paragraph
- Starting a new line next to the right line, students tend to wander to the right with their sentences
- Only capitalize the first letter of a sentence and do not capitalize letters in the middle of the word
This Week in Spelling
3rd and 4th grade
- NO SPELLING this upcoming week
- Spelling http://www.spellingcity.com, in your student's STAR binder are copies of the spelling lists for the year.
- I have purchased an upgrade option on Spelling City so your students will have access to extra resources, please feel free to use this at home. Listed below is the sign on information for students. The first column is their username and the second column tells their password.
Student's name Username Password
Anderson, Alison aanderson207 Password: alison
Juergens, Daniel djuergens Password: dan
Mahle, Jonah mahle Password: jonah
Sidney, Jenna jsidney Password: jenna
Cabral, Kimora kcabral2 Password: Kimora
Storey, Mia mstorey Password: mia
Storey, Trevor tstorey1 Password: trevor
Lam, Zoey zlam Password: zoey
5 Student(s)Student's name Username Password
Juergens, Alexis ajuergens1 Password: alexis
Woodbury, Ava awoodbury16 Password: ava
Garrison, Gavin ggarrison1 Password: gavin
Tarver, Gunnar gtarver1 Password: gunnar
Godkin, Matt mgodkin1 Password: matt0
Tuesday - Tomato Bisque w/Grilled Cheese sandwiches
Friday - Frito Pie
19th, Monday * Tram field trip, leaving the school at 12:45 pm and heading back to the school at 2:30 pm.
20th, Tuesday * Hot lunch - Mashed potatoes & ham22nd, Thursday * Parent Conferences
23rd, Friday * Parent Conferences