In Focus @ GWA
A news bulletin for the families of George Walton Academy
Key Deadlines & Dates
- Fall Break: Oct. 22 - 23
- MS Girls Basketball Try-Outs: Oct. 26-28
- Deadline to order HOCO shirt: Oct. 27 (see below)
- PSAT: Oct. 29 - early dismissal grades 8-11
- School Picture Make Up/Retakes: Oct. 29
- Coffee with Admin: Nov. 5 @ 8:15 a.m.
- Virtual Veterans Day Celebration: Nov. 11
- Homecoming Week: Nov. 9 -13
- Early Dismissal - All Grades: Friday, Nov. 13 (see below)
We are looking forward to homecoming festivities in November! Please see the details below for this fun-filled week and the link to order homecoming t-shirts. The deadline to order is Oct. 27 and link can also be found on the Dawg Shop page at gwa.com. Shirts will be delivered to the Dawg Shop.
Dress Up Days: Monday-Friday (Nov. 9-13)
- Monday: Country vs. Country Club
- Tuesday: Mathlete vs. Athlete
- Wednesday: Holiday
- Thursday: Group/Duo/Celebrity
- Friday: Spirit Day: Seniors- black, Juniors-white, Sophomores- red, Freshmen-Gray
Middle and high school will participate in all five of the dress up days.
Lower school will participate in the last three dress up days.
Homecoming Pep Rally (Revised Version)
Friday morning, Nov. 13
Pep rally will start at the field house and wind through campus – includes homecoming court (in cars), band, cheerleaders, majorettes and football players.
Powder Puff Game
Friday morning, Nov. 13
Powder puff game following the mini pep rally. High school students will attend the powder puff game. Homecoming King court will be announced.
Early Dismissal – Friday, Nov. 13
- Lower school will be dismissed at 11:30 a.m.
- Middle school will be dismissed at 12 p.m.
- High school students may leave after the powder puff game.
Homecoming Game: GWA vs. Athens Academy
Friday, Nov. 13 @ 7:30 p.m.
Homecoming queen crowned at halftime
Homecoming king crowned at bonfire after football game
- Saturday, November 21, 8 – 11 p.m., football field
- GWA high school students ONLY
- Dates from other schools not permitted due to COVID-related precautions
- Theme: “Glow in the Dark”
New Classes Begin
Two new Beyond the Bell afterschool classes begin on Nov. 1. Dance and theater will be offered to students in first through third grade. See details below or click HERE.
Dance classes are taught on campus afterschool and will focus on hip-hop, ballet, jazz and musical theater technique and performance. Please call Genie Wiggins at 706-338-7969 if you have any questions.
- When: Once per week, Nov. 1 - Dec. 18.
- Dance Combo for Girls: Monday 3:15 - 4:15 p.m.
- Hip-Hop for Boys: Tuesday 3:15 - 4:15 p.m.
- Cost: $100
Paula Gerhardt's afterschool theater classes will give students the opportunity to hone their imagination, come out of their shell, and learn the basics of theatrical arts through performance and improvisation -- all while having fun and gaining self-confidence.
- When: Once per week, Nov. 1 - Dec. 18
- Drama for Boys and Girls: Tuesday 3:15 - 4:15 p.m.
- Cost: $100
Christmas Cheer for All to Hear!
The Advancement Office is putting together a Christmas video as part of our Gingerbread Christmas event. We would like to invite students, teachers, parents, (or groups who safely produce their own video via a digital platform such a Zoom) or families to submit a video of you singing or playing an instrument (or both) a favorite Christmas song. Below are the details.
- Deadline for submission: noon on Nov. 20.
- Attire: Please wear something with a Christmas theme
- We will do our best to feature all the videos, but some may be shortened due to time constraints or duplicates.
- Please upload your video HERE.
Honoring Our Veterans
To keep our veterans and community safe, this year’s Veterans Day program will be a virtual event. We are looking forward to recognizing our veterans and honoring their service with a special video. This will be a school-wide project and will be shared via our website, social media, and email on Nov. 11. If you wish to contribute a veteran’s photo, please submit by Oct. 22 to email@example.com.
Blood Drive is November 20
If you would like to decorate a Christmas tree or ornament for Gingerbread Christmas, please let us know by Friday, Oct. 23. If you reserve one, we will provide the cardboard shape for you to use. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bulldogs Go For Five!
MS Girls Basketball Try-Outs
Try-outs for girls middle school (7th & 8th grade) basketball will be held in the MS gym from 2:30 – 4 p.m., Oct. 26-28. Players will need to have a current physical on file. There will be a parent meeting in the courtyard on Wed., Oct.28 at 4 p.m. Please contact Grace Martin at email@example.com with any questions.
Soccer Kicks Off in January
Soccer season is set to begin in January! If your sixth - 12th grade student is interested in playing for the middle school or varsity teams, please fill out the form below. If you have any questions regarding the season or commitment, please contact Sara Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corporate Partner Spotlight: Snellville Heating, Air and Plumbing
Snellville Heating, Air, and Plumbing has been a long-standing supporter of George Walton Academy. Founded in 1988, the company is a small family-owned business by David and Scarlett Vansant. With 40 employees, they cover the following counties: Walton, Clark, Barrow, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Newton, Oconee, and Fulton. Because their services bring them into people’s homes, technicians are taking appropriate and recommended precautions against virus transmission. Whether at home, in the workplace, or out in the field, they have the information and supplies that they need to protect themselves and their clients.
David and Scarlett are hands on with day to day activities. “We try to treat everyone the way we would like to be treated,” said David. “We are Trust Dale certified and stand by our work.”
Snellville Heating, Air, and Plumbing is a Rheem Pro Partner and active in the Conditioned Air Association of Georgia. They service all brands. In addition to heating, air, and plumbing they also offer services that provide improved air quality such as UV lights, air filters, and elimination of dust through duct cleaning and sealing. They also install water filtration devices.
They are available 24 hours a day and make emergency calls. They offer discounts on service calls to veterans, teachers, first responders and GWA families.
David and Scarlett have two children: Caroline, who graduated from GWA in 2020 and GWA tenth grader, Cooper.