Jenna M., Melita D., Kamery D.
Properties of Magnets
- Attracts iron and materials that contain iron
- Attracts and repels other magnets
- Points north when allowed to swing freely
What are Poles
Poles are the two ends of a magnet.
Two Types of Poles
How Poles Interact
- Like poles repel: North & North or South & South
- Unlike poles attract: North & South
Two Types of Magnetic Force
Relating Magnetic Force to Magnetic Poles
- North & South attract
- South & South or North & North Repel
What are they
Invisible lines that map out the magnetic field around the magnet.
How is the Distance of Field Lines Determined
The distance between magnetic field lines indicates the strength of a magnetic field.
Where are Field Lines the Strongest
The field lines are the strongest at the poles.
What are Magnetic Domains
A grouping of atoms that have their magnetic fields aligned is known as a magnetic domain.