Sunscreen Home Remedies
By: Macy Agen
- Oatmeal can also help treat sunburned skin. It has soothing properties that help the skin retain its natural moisture and reduce irritation.
- Bathe in it
- Use lotions that contain aloe Vera to soothe and moisturize sunburnt skin. Some aloe products contain lidocaine, an anesthetic that can help relieve sunburn pain. Aloe Vera is also a good moisturizer for peeling skin.
- Apply teabags soaked in cold water to sunburned eyelids to soothe the burn and reduce inflammation.
- Baking soda can be very soothing on sunburned skin due to its alkaline nature. Plus, it has antiseptic properties that will relieve the itchy sensation associated with sunburn.
- Fill your bathtub with cold water, add one cup of baking soda and stir well. Soak in the water for about 15 minutes. After getting out of the bath, pat dry or allow your body to air dry. Do this once daily until you get positive results.
- Cold compresses cause the tiny blood vessels to constrict, which in turn will reduce inflammation.
- The cold temperature will constrict blood vessels and reduce swelling, while the milk will create a protein film that helps ease pain.
- Mix one cup of skim milk with four cups of water. Add some ice cubes to the mixture.
- Dip a clean cloth in the solution and apply it to the sunburned area for half an hour.
- Then, gently pat dry your skin with a soft towel.
- Repeat the process every four hours for a few days until the pain and irritation subside.
The vitamin E present in coconut oil works as an antioxidant, which helps decrease inflammation caused by sunburn. Because coconut oil is very light, it also is absorbed quickly by the skin and can provide results within a few days.
- Slightly warm extra-virgin coconut oil in a microwave.
- Liberally rub some of the oil on the sunburned area and gently massage it.
- Do this three times daily for several days to promote healing.
- Apply a thin layer of natural honey on the affected skin and allow it to dry on its own. As the moisture in the honey is absorbed into the skin, it will speed up healing and minimize pain. Apply honey two or three times daily for a week.
Raw potato is excellent for relieving a sunburn as the natural starches found in potatoes will help draw heat out of your skin.
- Peel two large potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Blend the pieces in a blender to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected skin and let it dry on its own.
- Then take a cool shower.
- Repeat the process once daily for a few days until all your symptoms are gone.