Ms. Elam's Fabulous 1st Grade News
September 19-23, 2016
Dates to Remember
Thursday, September 22nd Picture Day (flyers came home last week)
Monday, September 26th Bus Evacuation Drill (during school day)
Thursday, September 29th Skating Party at USA Skates
Thursday, September 29th Scholastic Book Orders due
Friday, September 30th Ms. Elam out in the afternoon for an inservice
Wednesday, October 5th Walk to School Day (more info to come)
October 12 and 20 Conferences (please contact Ms. Elam if you haven't yet scheduled)
Friday, October 15th No School NEOEA Day
This Week in First Grade:
Reading: First graders will be working on the "Skippy Frog" reading strategy this week. This strategy encourages the students to skip a word they do not know and return to the word after reading the sentence. We are still working hard on our daily reading rotations and we continue to grow as independent readers. We will likely start spelling lists next week.
Writing: Our personal narratives are starting to take shape. We are adding details through pictures, words, feelings and so much more. First graders are amazing authors.
Homework: Each Monday a new reading log will come home, please complete the reading log with your child and return it to school the following Monday.
Keep in Mind
- Try to log into the Remind app and sign up to receive text message alerts from Ms. Elam.
- Each week a Reading Log will come come and needs to be completed and returned the following Monday. Eventually a spelling log and math log will also be sent home but for now its just a reading log.
- Snacks should be nut free and not made in plants with nuts. Try for a healthy snack.
- All students should have their own set of headphones to use in the classroom and for technology. The headphones do not need to be fancy they just need to work in an iPad.
- Scholastic orders are optional; but please feel free to order from any and all flyers for your first grader or your other children too!