LMS Library Corner
April 2017 Edition
These past couple of weeks, we've been busy working with teachers and students on a variety of projects. We've worked with...
- Ms. Nightingale's 8th grade English students on a poetry stations activity. Students wrote original poems in a variety of forms- acrostic, found, magnetic, and even book spine poetry.
- Ms. Mulqueen's 8th grade English students on a book trailer project. Students used Adobe Spark to create short advertisements for their independent reading books. Click HERE to see our Book Trailer Guide resource page.
- Ms. Kane's 8th grade English students for a book checkout activity. Take a look at our Book Talk Slides to see which new books we highlighted.
- Ms. St. Germain's 7th grade students on research projects related to famous unsolved mysteries. Check out our Researching Unsolved Mysteries page.
- Prospective LMS students! We provided sixth grade students with an introduction to the LMS library when they toured the school with their elementary classes.
Current Library Displays
March Madness VRC Book Tournament
The champion of LMS's Mach Madness VRC Book Tournament is Jonathan Stroud's The Screaming Staircase. This book was also Longfellow's pick for the statewide Virginia Reader's Choice contest, garnering the most votes of any of the books in this year's lineup. The four LMS students who made the most accurate bracket predictions are receiving prizes courtesy of the PTA.
Silent Sustained Reading
Poem in Your Pocket Day
In honor of Poem in Your Pocket Day, students who show Ms. Polidoro or Ms. Hedge that they have a poem in their pocket on Thursday, April 27th will receive a tasty treat in the library!
Find out about our new books...
Battle of the Books Update
As a reminder, Battle of the Books (BOB) meets on Thursday afternoons in Room 121--across from the library. We are currently reading and discussing this year’s Virginia Reader’s Choice books (in no particular order). We are asking all BOB members to fill out this form for each of the books that they read. Ultimately, the book questions that they generate will be used for practice rounds of our competition. To find out more about this club, please visit the Battle of the Books Website.
Check out our website!
Access information and resources related to Longfellow Middle School's library program!
What I'm Currently Reading
This is Lisa Hedge's first year as a librarian at Longfellow Middle School after being a librarian at Glen Forest Elementary School for three years. Lisa has an MLS from the University of Maryland. In her free time she loves reading, traveling, listening to music, and yoga. Some of her favorite books include Harry Potter, The Giver, and Catherine, Called Birdy.
What I'm Currently Reading
Interested in helping out in the LMS Library?
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Nicole Yakatan (firstname.lastname@example.org), the PTA’s awesome volunteer coordinator. We always have plenty of projects in the library!