Week 21 Recap
3rd Quarter Rolls On
DVUSD Superintendent Dr. Finch has just published his 2023 state of the district update for the Deer Valley community. Be sure to check out all the extraordinary accomplishments and plans for DVUSD moving forward.
Battle of the Books
Congratulations to our Battle of the Books Teams on an amazing 2nd battle Thursday morning! All our teams had perfect scores through the first 2 rounds.
2nd Grade Math
Utilizing the Kagan structure RallyCoach in Ms. Perry’s math class - where students teach and support each other!
Shout out to Mr. Romo! SV community is lucky to have such an asset that fills buckets each morning. Thank you for making a difference in our community.
Battle of the Books
2nd Grade Math
Positive Office Referral Winners
This week's referral winners are: Porter, Sofie, Roman, Siri, Addison, Yishi, Jacob, Maddison, Collins, Kylie, Sophia, and Cade!
Volunteer of the Week ~Sean Hall~
Support SV w/ Amazon Smile
Did you know? You can support Sierra Verde PTSO with a percentage back from your Amazon purchases, at no additional cost to you. When you shop using AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), you'll find the same Amazon storefront with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the eligible purchase price to Sierra Verde PTSO, at no additional cost.
It’s quick and easy to set up, here are the steps for desktop/web and mobile! How to use AmazonSmile on a desktop/web browser:
1. Visit smile.amazon.com
2. Sign in with the same account you use for Amazon.com
3. Select the charity ‘Sierra Verde PSTO Inc’
4. Start shopping!
Remember to checkout at smile.amazon.com to generate donations for your chosen charity –add a bookmark at smile.amazon.com to make it easy to shop.
How to use AmazonSmile using the Amazon app on a mobile phone:
1. Open the Amazon Shopping app
2. Navigate to the main menu (=)
3. Tap on Settings and then select “AmazonSmile”
4. Select the charity ‘Sierra Verde PSTO Inc’ and then follow the on-screen instructions to turn ON AmazonSmile in the mobile app.
5. Once AmazonSmile has been activated in your app, future eligible app purchases will generate a donation for the charity you have selected.
Note: The tablet app is not yet supported. Visit smile.amazon.com/onthego to learn more.
Questions? Contact Megan Munson (SV parent) email@example.com
Middle School Sports Schedule
Away Volleyball Games
1/17 at Gavilan Peak at 4:30 pm
This will be our last regular season volleyball game of the year before playoffs start the following week. Good luck to our Vipers!
Open Enrollment Notification for 23-24
Be sure to check your email inbox for open enrollment registration emails from DVUSD. Families have now been notified regarding open enrollment applications for 23-24 has been approved, waitlisted, or denied via email from district office. Upon notification, a registration must be completed online, no later than 10 days after notification of the decision, or the student potentially forfeits the approved Open Enrollment and may need to reapply.
If you have any questions, please contact the front office at 623-376-4800.
Spiritline Informational Meeting on Wednesday
Fitness Bingo Challenge
Mindfulness Monday Challenge of the Week
The POWER of POSITIVE SELF-TALK decreases sadness and increases in wellbeing with ourselves and with our relationships with others. Positive self-talk promotes a healthy self-esteem by helping us work through challenges, encouraging motivation, and improving our attitudes. Having a healthy self-esteem will also help increase happiness, decrease stress, builds confidence, and improves relationships. We often say negative things about ourselves when we make mistakes. This week, when you find yourself using negative self-talk, try challenging yourself by changing the negative to positive self-talk:
You can also challenge yourself by saying one positive affirmation about yourself everyday:
I am a good listener.
I have a growth mindset
I am in control of my actions
I can improve with practice.
I believe in myself.
I am a thoughtful person.
I am a good friend.
I have respect for others.
I am grateful for the things that I have.
-OR CREATE YOUR OWN-
Positive living is not about being a perfect human. It is not realistic to expect perfection and “positive vibes only” all the time. You are a human being, so don’t beat yourself up when something does not go your way. Be kind and patient with yourself.
Join Team SV (Paraprofessional, Crossing Guard, Cook, and Viper Den)
Community Education is also hiring before and after care workers for our Viper Den program. This is a 6 hour per day position before and after school. If you are interested in this position please contact Dina Sands 623-376-3903 or stop by our office for more information.
- Next Friday 1/20 is a 2:00 pm Early Release for teachers to work on their Collaborative Teams.
- DVUSD and Sierra Verde will be closed on Monday 1/16 in observance of MLK Jr. Day.
- Reminder our bike racks are locked during school hours only.
- We have a volunteer training on 1/17 at 5:00 pm in Room 517 for anyone who wants to become a volunteer or field trip chaperone.
- For those who are interested in volunteering in classrooms and/or attending field trips, you will need to attend a one time district volunteer training (class locations and times can be found at www.dvusd.org). If you have already taken the training you must come in to the front office to update your information, this must be done every year.
Have a Great Long Weekend!
Sierra Verde STEAM Academy
Nationally Accredited STEM Certification
"A" Rated School by Arizona Dept. of Education
Proud Home of the Vipers
Deer Valley Unified School District