Welcome to the 2016-2017 School Year!
We hope you all had a rejuvenating summer and are ready for another wonderful year at Mt. Everest! The staff have been preparing for an innovative year of teaching and learning alongside you. At the elementary level we have new math curriculum and are transitioning to the the Next Generation Science Standards. At the secondary level, many students are taking advantage of new course offerings, including video courses, AP physics, and biotechnology. Many high school students are enrolling in community college courses as well.
If you are a returning family, please welcome our new students and families by saying hello. There are going to be many opportunities for you to get involved in our community this year including extracurricular classes, the new MakerSpace, ASB events, our service learning/volunteer calendar, and much more!
Last school year, we spoke a lot about nurturing a growth mindset and what it means to have grit. I wanted to share this article I read recently that I thought was fitting for the start of school. My door is always open so please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns. Here's to a great year!
The First Week of School (copied from the school website)
- For Parents of TK/K Students: Classroom orientations will be held for parents at the end of studygroup the first week (11:30). Please see Ms. Yssel's website for more info.
- For Parents of Students in Grades 1-5: Classroom orientations will be held for the first 45 minutes of study groups held during the first week
- For Parents of Students in Grade 6: There will be an orientation in the cafeteria at the beginning of period 1 on the first day of study groups.
- For Parents of Students in Grade 7: On Tuesday at 9:20 there will be an orientation in the cafeteria for all 7th grade students and their parents.
- For Parents of Students in CC Math 7: On Tuesday, if your student is in Common Core Math 7th, you should join them for an orientation with Mr. Greenwood during the beginning of 1st period.
- For Parents of New Students, All Grades: Conferences will be scheduled with your child's supervising teacher between Tuesday 8/30 and Friday 9/9
- Our new MakerSpace will have it's grand opening at Back to School Night next week! Students of all ages and their families can use this tinkering space to design something to print on our 3D printer, learn about electronics, program a sphero robot, learn to sew, build with legos on the lego wall and much more! This space will be staffed and have open hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
- The new Family Study room near the playground is available for families to utilize as a teaching spot on campus or a waiting room for parents while students are in classes.
- Umbrellas in our lunch court area will provide much needed shade for studying and socializing.
- The Counseling Center has had a makeover. Stop by and say hi to Mr. Zappala!
MEA Back to School Night
Thursday, Sep. 8th, 3:30-5:30pm
4350 Mount Everest Boulevard
San Diego, CA
The schedule is in progress and will be posted on the MEA website soon.
Some new extracurricular offerings:
- Environmental Club for elementary students - Thursdays at 12:30
- Meditation and Mindfulness- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7:30-7:55
- Sewing & Embroidery
- Creative Writing for secondary students
If you are interested in offering an extracurricular class or workshop, please contact the Principal Browne at firstname.lastname@example.org. All required district volunteer paper work must be submitted in order to lead a class.
Elementary Music Wednesday classes
Mr. Johnson from the Visual and Performing Arts Dept. will be returning back to Mt. Everest to teach our Wednesday elementary music classes. The class schedule will remain similar to last year's with choir and beginning classes in the morning and advanced classes in the afternoon. Mr. Johnson will host a program overview this week on Wed. 8/31 at 12:30 in the cafeteria. Please plan to attend if you are in interested in taking part in his music classes this year.
MEA Fall 2016 Astronomy Research Seminar
- Semester-long seminar meets weekly
- Perform guided research
- Publish a scientific paper in your name
- High school students can earn college credit
- For students in grades 7-12
The MEA Astronomy Research Seminar will have its first meeting Friday, 9/2 @ 10am. (Room # TBD). The first two meetings will be Friday 9/2 and 9/9 at 10am; following meetings will be Mondays at 10am.
Overview of the seminar
Register for the seminar (scroll down to Mt. Everest registration)
For more information, email Kent Smith at email@example.com
MEA Theatre Company's 2016-17 Season!
The 10 Minute Play Project
October 26 at 3:30pm & 6pm and October 27 at 6pm
Audition Prep Workshop:
September 7th 3-4pm!
Auditions (Grades K-12) :
September 12 & 13
The Magic Flute
March 7 at 6pm, March 8 at 4pm, & March 9 at 6pm
Audition Prep Workshop:
Auditions (Grades 2-12):
December 6 & 7
Hope to see everyone at auditions and please tell your friends to get involved! For any questions please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Can't wait to get started on another wonderfully theatrical year.
Adira Rosen, MEA Theatre Co Director
MEA Service Learning Calendar - Adopt-a-Beach
Saturday, Sep. 17th, 9am
Crystal Pier, Ocean Boulevard, San Diego, CA, United States
Mt. Everest Academy has adopted the beach by Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach. After the clean up, join other MEA families for a fun day at the beach! (So, don't forget your beach gear!)