Catcher in the Rye
Web Quest by: Vanessa, Jocelyn, and Manny
1.How was the critical reception of the novel illustrative of the time period?
2.What pressures specific to the time period influenced Holden? How were people supposed to ect?
3. Explain the growth of consumer culture in the post war era. How is this reflected in the novel?
4. What, if any, support would have helped Holden to become a well-adjusted teen?
5. How do you think the Cold War influenced Holden's culture? Focus on people, events, ideology, places, etc. Think about: Which countries were involved in the Cold War? What were they fighting/angry about?
6.How did the House Un-American Activities Commission influence everyday life for American citizens? (Meaning, what did they do that affected regular people’s lives?)
7.Identify at least 5 ways WWII impacted American culture. What happened as a result of the war?
2. women were providing for the family
3. men were being sent off to war to fight for their land leaving family alone
4.rationing took place witch caused families to give up goods such as foods witch have them less in order to support the troops
5. many women were employed creating war time materials witch raised the economy
8.Is Holden an early example of the "Counter-Culture Cycle"? Why/why not?
1.) What are two ways that post war era influenced teen’s behavior?
2.) What did Holden do that classified him as a teen of the counter-culture?
3.) Did the 50’s have anything to do with the way Holden viewed the adult life?
4.) True or false Holden is the sign of the counter culture of the 50’s?
5.) If Holden were born in the 2000’s would he be the same ?
6.) why was Holden kicked out of his school?
7.) who was America at war with during world war 2?
8.) who was Americas biggest threat during the cold war?
9.) were kids allowed to smoke during the 50's
10.) true or false Holden alone and alienated himself ?