Tharptown Elementary School
Covid-19 School Updates
Trivia Contest Beginning April 20th!
Whether you're in school, out of school, or somewhere in between, the process of learning never stops.
Franklin County Schools, Superintendent of Education Greg Hamilton and WGOL-FM 100.7 have a fun way for Franklin County students to learn and win!
Tune into WGOL-FM 100.7 or WGOL-AM 920 each weekday at 10 a.m., and 5 p.m., for educational trivia questions. You can listen to WGOL on the “Simple Radio” app on your cellular device too.
The first student to call WGOL with the correct answer will win a gift certificate from one of our great Franklin County restaurants.
We'll have daily educational trivia for students in grades 7 through 12 at 10 a.m., and afternoon trivia at 5 p.m., for kindergarten through sixth grades. Just call 256-332-0214 with the correct answer and we'll mail you a gift card to a local restaurant, as this is a social distancing, no contact friendly contest!
Everyone loves free food, and we hope you'll learn something new along the way!
Only one winner per household each week, please. Contest open to all students who attend any Franklin County school, including Russellville City Schools. Remember, you must be a student in the grade range for the question you answer. High school questions will be read weekdays at 10 a.m., and elementary school questions at 5 p.m.
The contest begins Monday, April 20th at 10 a.m. Good luck!
Virtual School Plan During Covid-19 Closure
I hope all of you are doing well and staying safe. We miss all of our students very much and look forward to the time they can return to school. In an effort to make sure our students, faculty/staff, and parents are safe, we will be using a digital/online format of learning for our students beginning April 6th. We believe the delivery of digital/online learning helps provide a safer environment for learning and is based on the recommendations from the Alabama Department of Education. However, we encourage students to continue to complete the paper/pencil packets they were given prior to April 6th. At this time, we do not plan on sending home any additional pencil/paper materials for safety reasons.
Your child's teacher will be contacting you concerning providing digital/online learning opportunities for your student. You may receive calls, messages, emails, social media messages, and other forms of communication that teachers have previously used as tools to connect with their students and parents. Please be on the lookout for this information.
Digital Learning Plans
- Teachers at Tharptown Elementary School will be providing digital/online learning opportunities for our students.
- Teachers will focus on the core academic areas of math and English/language arts. Teachers will provide instruction on any standard that has not been previously taught and/or provide instructional and enrichment activities in the "critial standards" (please see the link below) for each subject. This will look different for each teacher and each subject.
- Teachers will be reaching out to students a minimum of twice a week.
- Please remember that teachers will use a variety of online resources, apps, websites and other learning platforms to deliver course content and learning activities; therefore, every classroom will look different.
- Teachers may choose to conduct live meetings (Google Meet) or may offer prerecorded videos and information that students can watch at a time of their choosing.
- There will be no graded assignments or assessments for the remainder of the school year. The yearly grades will be based on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd 9-weeks of school.
- Teachers will be available to answer questions from students/parents through their school email or through other communication methods teachers have arranged with parents. Under normal circumstances, teachers will get back with parents within a 24 hour timeframe.
- Digital/virtual instruction will begin on April 6th and will go through the end of May.
- In addition to classroom instruction, we encourage parents to take advantage of the many online resources that have been made available to parents/students at no cost (See information below). Most of these online tools and resources can be accessed on a cellphone, i-pad, tablet, or computer.
Alabama Critical Standards (Mathematics & English/Language Arts - Grades K-8):
- Please feel free to contact the principal if you have any questions or need assistance. My contact information is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you or your student have questions about classroom assignments, please contact the teacher through their school email or through a communication tool that has been provided by the teacher.
TES School Webpage: https://www.franklin.k12.al.us/Domain/13
TES Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TharptownElementary/?ref=bookmarks
Coronovirus Information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html