Trail Blazer News
December 14th - 18th
Addie Katherine's Interview
Addie Katherine: Red.
Makhiah: What kind of activity to do you like?
Addie Katherine: Math.
Makhiah: Who is your favorite friend?
Addie Katherine: Sam.
Lila: What is your favorite food?
Addie Katherine: Pizza.
Lila: What is your favorite sport?
Addie Katherine: Basketball.
Lila: What is your favorite holiday?
Addie Katherine: Christmas.
Lila: Who is your favorite game?
Addie Katherine: Twister.
Fern: What is your favorite time?
Addie Katherine: 12:00.
Fern: Who is your favorite teacher?
Addie Katherine: Mrs. Morris and Ms. Fields.
Fern: What is your favorite math strategy?
Addie Katherine: Traditional and connect it.
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Painter's Tape
12/17/15: Winter Concert 6:00-8:00
12/18/15: Winter Holiday Class Party and Grinch Play 1:15 -2:15
12/21/15-1/1/15: Winter Break (No School)
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing using diagrams and images to understand the main idea of nonfiction texts. We are also focusing on our RAPS strategy (Restate, Answer, Prove it, and Summarize) as we practice written comprehension.
RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
Writing: Students are publishing independent research project about something they wonder. Their final product will be an online "board" that displays the important information they discovered.
- W.2.7: Participate in shared research and writing projects (read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
Fundations: We will continue Unit 6 on Monday. We are focusing on vowel-consonant-e words within multi-syllabic words.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will continue our addition and subtraction unit on Monday. Students are learning various strategies to solve addition and subtraction equations within 100.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Science: We will be exploring the properties of matter through movement and hands-on learning.
- 2.P.2 Understand properties of solids and liquids and the changes they undergo.
Social Studies: Students are participating in a class government. Each student is part of a branch of our government. Students are creating bills that they would like to become classroom laws.
- 2.H.1 Understand how various sources provide information about the past. Civics & Government.
- 2.C&G.1 Understand the purpose of governments.
- 2.C&G.2 Understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens.
We had so much fun during Hour of Code! Click here for your child to access the coding activities at home!