School Nutrition Weekly Newsletter
January 16, 2020
New and Recently Updated
Special Dietary Needs Webpage
The Special Dietary Needs webpage has a different look! Explore this one-stop-shop for USDA memos, resources specially developed for Indiana, editable forms ready for your personalization, and training materials.
Use the following to increase your knowledge, help others understand the process, and access training resources:
The Indiana Handbook for Managing Special Dietary Needs in School Food Service offers a comprehensive review with best practices and guidance for implementation.
The Assessment for Managing Special Dietary Needs will help identify your strengths and weaknesses in order to improve how you are managing special dietary needs.
Approach parents with a handout explaining parental rights and required procedures.
Access webinars to train staff on the roles of the School Nurse, 504 Coordinator, and Foodservice Professionals.
Click here to access the Special Dietary Needs Page!
Questions? Contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*New* Offer Versus Serve (OVS) Materials
IDOE has created new materials for schools that implement OVS at lunch and/or breakfast.
New Resources include:
IDOE also has new online trainings available on inTEAM, including OVS trainings on breakfast, lunch, and best practices.
- Questions about OVS? Contact your field specialist or Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com.
Food Service Employee Award
The nomination form for the Food Service Employee of the Year Award is now available!
Schools are encouraged to help IDOE recognize school food service employees who contribute significantly to the health and learning capabilities of students.
This award was created to recognize the outstanding achievements of school food service employees who excel in the areas of customer service, attitude, professionalism, and teamwork.
Click here to access the nomination form.
Nominations are due Friday, February 21.
Questions? Contact Suzette Hartmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Food Distribution Program (FDP) Trainings
- FDP now has three new trainings available online for sponsors on inTEAM.
- The three trainings cover the DoD Fresh Program, Excess Inventory of USDA Foods, and Processing USDA Foods.
- Click here to access these trainings.
- Need assistance with logging in to inTEAM? Contact Rachel Beach at email@example.com.
- Questions about FDP? Contact Cheryl Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
School Nutrition Association (SNA) and Indiana School Nutrition Association (ISNA) Awards
SNA Member Awards
- SNA celebrates members who work every day to ensure well-nourished students across the country are prepared for success.
- Nominate an employee, manager, and/or director you know to be recognized for all of their great contributions!
- There are SNA awards to recognize every member type:
- Employee of the Year
- Manager of the Year, in honor of Louise Sublette
- Director of the Year
- Individuals may be nominated by peers, staff, colleagues, or supervisors for these awards.
- All nominees must be SNA members who hold a SNA Certificate in School Nutrition or the SNS credential throughout the entire awards nomination and judging process.
- Click on the links above to read more about nominee criteria.
- Nominations are now being accepted online for the 2019-2020 awards and are due by Sunday, March 1.
ISNA Exclusive Awards
- ISNA values the opportunity to honor its members who have gone "above and beyond" in different aspects of their career, but may not have met the criteria set forth for the State SNA Awards.
- Members are encouraged to nominate for the awards summarized below(click the links for a printable nomination form or you may also nominate electronically).
- Awards will be presented at the Annual Conference in November 2020.
- Super Star Service Award - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Star Award
- Assistant Director/Supervisor of the Year - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Office Assistant of the Year - Click HERE to nominate electronically!
- Nominations for ISNA Awards are due to Sheri Shipp at email@example.com by Wednesday, April 1 unless otherwise noted.
- Questions about ISNA Awards? Contact ISNA Vice President, Stacie Light at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coming Up Soon!
Procuring using a Co-op or Group Buying Organization
- Do you have questions about joining a co-op for procurement?
- Do you know your (school, co-op, vendor, etc.) responsibilities as a member of a co-op?
- Do you know the difference between an SFA-only Co-op and Group Buying/Purchasing Organization?
- Are you currently operating a co-op (ESC, group of schools, GBO/vendor) but want to be considered an SFA-only Co-op, or maybe you do not even know what that means?
- Get the answer to these questions, learn about the new SFA- only Co-op classification and registration process, and more during the Procuring with Co-ops and Group Buying Organizations webinar on Wednesday, January 29 at 2:30 p.m.
- Click here to register.
- Questions? Contact Tina Herzog at email@example.com.
ISNA/IDOE School Nutrition Certificate Course
- IDOE and ISNA are excited to announce that the next set of courses through the ISNA/IDOE Certificate Program will take place Friday, February 7 at the Willows on Westfield.
- In the morning, learn about creating and implementing your HACCP plan.
- During the HACCP plan course, you will earn what the requirements are for a proper food safety plan, how to write standard operating procedures and develop policies, how to train your staff, and so much more!
- In the afternoon, gain an understanding of the requirements and best practices for planning and managing the facilities used in school nutrition.
- During the facilities planning and management course, review the foundations of kitchen asset management, learn how to manage contracts and services, determine inventory requirements, and more!
- Click here for more details and to register for one or both of these courses.
- Also, save the date for Thursday, March 12 and Friday, March 13 for more certificate program courses on menu planning regulations and concepts, food production and operation management, human resources management, and visionary leadership.
- Questions? Contact Jan Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.