Message from Mission Control
* Thanks to Lilly and Nancy for continuing to "WOW" us with all of their fun decorating they continue to do. They also came up here yesterday (Sunday) to decorate our offices! We are so lucky to have them, and we appreciate all of their hard work in making Elkins so welcoming and student friendly! Thanks, ladies!!
* Fall Festival is on Thursday! As of last week, we were short volunteers for the 6:45-8:00 pm shift. If you have older kids who need community service hours, this would be a great way for them to earn it! I know it's a late night when something ends at 8:00, but as of Thursday, we had hardly anyone for that time slot!
* I am excited to see the PDSA boards up and visible! Remember, the goal is to have students involved in this. It's not simply a "compliance piece." There is no right or wrong way... as long as it's utilized and kids are involved, that is our goal!
* The end of the nine weeks is this week! Can you believe we are already nine weeks in? As was discussed at our planning meeting last May, we are going to change up what we do for PRIDE Posse. We will have a spirit rally at the end of the 2nd nine weeks, where PRIDE Posse members will get to compete against staff in some fun games/relay races! The kickball game was a hit last year, so we decided to do this instead. I will keep you posted on the details as we get closer.
* If you want an easy way to earn a jeans pass, bring in 2 big bags of candy before Thursday. You can deliver to Shannon Denham, and she will give you a jeans pass. The PTA needs candy donations for Thursday, so help out if you can!
*Remember to encourage our attendance incentive! We will have another drawing for Altitude jump passes and Visa gift card for parents at the end of the next six weeks. The end of this week will be 3 weeks in! We want to earn at least 97% to keep our average above that 97 mark!! There will be a prize drawing for teachers too....so make sure you're here in order to be entered!
* Fliers will go home this week for our family Thanksgiving feast that will be on Thursday, November 16th. They need to RSVP in order to attend so the nutrition department knows how much food to make. Please turn those in once you receive them from your classes.
* Our book studies are continuing. Make sure to contribute and discuss how you are liking the books so far! I know my group is on our 2nd assignment, and we are really having great conversations!
* If you are needing Bobby or I to sit in on any parent/teacher conferences, please let us know. We would be happy to be in there if there are any where you need some extra support and/or backup. Just please get with us so that we can make sure we are available and free to meet. Don't forget to let us know if you will have any conferences that begin past 4:30.
* Our Math Vertical and ELAR Vertical councils are coming up in just a few short weeks. Make sure you take the time to talk with your grade level teams about what you feel should/needs to be discussed at these meetings. Come with questions, as well. Angela Kennedy, Misty Germaine, and Macie Kerbs will be present at the designated meetings, so this is a great time to get some questions answered or bring up anything you need clarification on.
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Courtesy- considerate and mannerly behavior
DATES TO REMEMBER
Thursday, October 19th:
Kori off campus at meeting
PTA Fall Festival 5:30-8:00 PM (volunteers needed)
October 23-27th = Red Ribbon Week!
Monday- Wear Red
Tuesday- College Shirts
Friday- Storybook Character
Thursday, October 26th:
Kori off campus in AM for Principal Meeting
Bobby off campus in PM for AP meeting
2nd Grade Field Trip- Zoo
Friday, October 27th:
Kick off assembly for PTA Big Kahuna Fundraiser @ 8:00 am
Clubs Today (follow Clubs schedule)
Wednesday, November 1st:
Literacy Council Meeting- AM
Math Council Meeting- PM
Thursday, November 2nd:
Kori off campus at meeting
Monday, November 6th:
Staff Meeting; (Forrester's Financial & ARD Training)
Thursday, November 9th:
Friday, November 10th:
Early Release at 11:40 (parent/teacher conferences)
Thursday, November 16th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Family Thanksgiving Feast (during lunch times)