Uglies - By Scott Westerfeld.
Runaways, Self-esteem, Perfection
The kids of the Smoke are all runaways. Not want to be pretty wanting to stay and be themselves. Runaways is apart of our book because if the the uglies of Uglyville don't like the way of their government is run they runaway to the Smoke for a better life. This has to deal with modern times with kids running away in the heat of the moment. Just because something went awry.
- 47% of runaways conducted that conflict between them or their parent is a major problem.
- 80% or runaway girls reported having been sexually or physically abused.
- 34% of overall runaways reported sexual abuse before leaving home.
- 43% of runaways (Boys&Girls) reported physical abuse before leaving home.
- 12% of runaways spent at least one night outside, in a park, on the street, under a bridge, or on a rooftop.
- 14% of runaways on the street traded sex for money, food, shelter, or drugs.
- 32% of runaways have attempted suicide at some point in their lives.
- Three things are needed for kids to runaway: the ability, the willingness, and opportunity
- If you are displeased with yourself mentally and physically, you are falling into two traps: perfectionism and self drowning.
- Give up on the idea of being perfect.
- If you keep trying to pursue the dream of being perfect you will see yourself far from it.
- Possessing little self-regard can lead people to become depressed, to fall short of their potential, or to tolerate abusive situations and relationship.
- Self-esteem can have a big part in how you feel about yourself and also how much you enjoy things or worry about things.
1. the state or quality of being or becoming perfect.
In the town of Uglyville, the citizens consider the people of New Pretty Town as the definition of perfection. "Uglies" only dream to be "pretty" and perfect. Awaiting their 16th birthday, for their first "pretty" operation to take place and be like the people on New Pretty Town.
- Role models drilled into them that the idea that they are only as valuable as their achievements.
- Perfectionism is a virtue to be extolled definatley.
- Perfection tends to have two components: a positive side including things like setting high standards for yourself. A negative side, deleterious factor feeling pressure in being perfect.
- For some people, the purpose of life seems to be to attain perfection.
- People with high scores of perfection have a 51% risk of death compared to people with low scores.