For Heaven's Sake
Our Lady Queen of Heaven School - August 2020
From the Principal's Desk
After a challenging spring, our faculty and staff is prepared and ready to embark upon this new school year. I am grateful for the amazing dedication of our OLQHS teachers. They will be taking all the measures necessary to make sure our students are safe and well.
If you have not read the re-opening plan. I encourage you to read that before the start of school. You will find that information, as well as other important back to school information in this newsletter. Please take time to review this information and let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We have reviewed many questions as a result of our plan, so please watch for a FAQ publication coming out this week.
I also want to express my gratitude to you, our parents. You have been patient as we worked through our virtual learning last spring and as we presented the re-opening plan for this fall. As a parent, you have been tasked with very difficult decisions during this global pandemic. We know that each family has taken great care in selecting the best schooling option for their children. We are thrilled to be able to offer a traditional classroom and a virtual school option. Please know that we support you. Whether your child will be here on campus or attending the Fuel Education program, we commend you for your commitment to your child's education. I am grateful for your continued dedication to our school and Catholic education.
Our theme for this year is Embrace God's Grace. We cannot think of a more fitting message and focus for this 2020-2021 school year. Especially in the most difficult of times, I pray that you will embrace the grace of God in your lives and reflect on His beautiful mercy.
Reminder these Open Houses are for parents only. You will meet your child's homeroom teacher during this time and discuss expectations for the year. Please contact your child's teacher directly if you are unable to attend the Open House.
Please try to limit only one parent/adult attending and that individual must have a face covering.
- 1st Grade 5:00 pm
- 2nd Grade 6:00 pm
- 3rd Grade 7:00 pm
- Pre-K: 5:00 pm
- Kindergarten: 6:00 pm
- 4th Grade: 7:00 pm
August 19th :
- 5th & 6th Grade: 5:00 pm
- 7th Grade & 8th Grade 6:00 pm
STAR Testing Schedule
As we prepare for this school year, we would like to get a jump start on assessing our students in 1st - 8th grade using our STAR 360 testing. These tests are computer based and are usually administered during the first week of school.
This year, in order to not lose any more instructional time, we would like your help in getting our students tested before school starts. This will help teachers identify any gaps in subject areas and set student goals early on. Below you will see the schedule for each homeroom.
- Tuesday, August 18 - testing for specific families
- Wednesday, August 19 (Grades 1, 2, 5, 6)
- 8:30 am - Bebee (1st) / Broussard (5th)
- 9:30 am - Lindsay (1st) / Bushnell (5th)
- 10:30 am - Worsham (1st) / Fink (5th)
- 12:00 pm - Barger (2nd) / Courville (6th)
- 1:00 pm - Posch (2nd) / Abshire (6th)
- 2:00 pm - Whitbeck (2nd) / Dubois (6th)
- Thursday, August 20 (Grades 3, 4, 7, 8)
- 8:30 am - Duhon (3rd) / Hoffpauir (7th)
- 9:30 am - Link (3rd) / Lancon (7th)
- 10:30 am - Thibodeaux (3rd) / Trahan (7th)
- 12:00 pm - Bertrand (4th) / Houssiere (8th)
- 1:00 pm - Holtzman (4th) / Ledoux (8th)
- 2:00 pm - Phelps (4th) / Penfield (8th)
Procedure for Testing:
- Elementary Students should be dropped off, at the Creole street front entrance, using the car line. They will be checked in and sent to the cafeteria.
- Middle School Students should be dropped off, checked in and picked up using the middle school car line.
- Temperature checks will be in place at both locations.
- Students are asked to wear a face covering (mask) while they are on campus.
- Students do NOT have to be in uniform, but must be in appropriate casual clothing.
- Students will then be split up among several classrooms and computer labs to test. Social distancing will be in place and teachers/staff will be supervising each area.
- The testing will take approximately 30 min to 1 hour. Please be back on campus 30 minutes after drop off to ensure the process runs smoothly and students are picked up on time.
If for some reason you are unable to bring your child at their class testing time, they will be tested at a later date.
Thank you so much for your cooperation in helping us provide the best possible education for our students. We appreciate your commitment to your child's education!
First Day Information
For the first day of school, we will allow a parent/guardian to walk students to their classrooms. We ask that parents follow these rules:
- Please limit one parent per child if possible.
- Parents and students must all have face coverings.
- Parents and students must maintain a safe distance while waiting for temperature checks at the front gates.
- Parents are asked to walk to the student directly to the classroom, no lingering and visiting in the halls or breezeways. Parents will not be allowed to enter the classroom.
- This will be for drop off on the student's first day only.
- Pick up on the first day will be only car line.
Order Your School T-Shirt
T-Shirts with the old school logo can still be worn.
Chair backs are sold at Wal-Mart in their Back to School section or at local shops like Queen of Threads.
Become a Baron Sponsor
With this sponsorship, you or your company can be a sponsor of our 3 fundraising events: Heavenly Fish Fest, Fall Carnival and the Auction. Join us in supporting OLQHS as a Baron Sponsor at one of these levels: $1,500, $2,500 or $5,000.
For more information, contact Megan O'Quin at email@example.com.
Each year parents must be informed that the school has complied with all national standards regarding asbestos on campus. Certain vinyl floors and the panels that are below the quad windows will have to be handled appropriately if ever replaced. Our report indicates that existing asbestos is in good condition and we have the highest rating given. You are welcome to examine the asbestos file in the office if desired.