7 Things you need to know and can share with others.
1. Summer Caddo Elementary Science Professional Development
Several exciting learning opportunities will be offered by the Elementary Science Department this summer. Workshops will center on helping K-5 teachers and school leaders understand how to implement three-dimensional and phenomenon-based learning using Louisiana Student Standards for Science.
Topics include: understanding the instructional shifts, teaching with phenomena, analyzing student work, using the Caddo Science Scope and Sequence, making connections to math and ELA, creating quality lessons, using robots in the elementary classroom, and making sense of the Louisiana Student Standards for Science.
- June 6 K-2 Science Summit
- June 7- 3-5 Science Summit
- July 17 K-2 Science Summit (repeat)
- July 18 3-5 Science Summit (repeat)
- July 19 Overview of the Louisiana Student Standards for Science (for new teachers and teachers new to K-5 science)
- July 23 Google Science Journal (in the ‘Technology Trainings’ folder)
- July 26 K-5 Dash Into STEM
3. Caddo Science Scope and Sequence
Changes will include:
- Moving K-2 units around to better compliment the new ELA curriculum
- Possibly merging units in grades 3-4
- More resources and phenomena
- Adding Important Science Terms to every unit
- Adding any new resources released from LDOE's Scope and Sequence
- Connections to STEM Careers
4. LATM/LSTA Concurrent Sessions (1 hour) Proposal Due August 6
Proposals for 1-hour concurrent sessions to be held on Tuesday and/or Wednesday, October 23rd and 24th, 2018 are now being accepted. Proposals must be submitted via the online form by August 6, 2018. The Lead Presenter and Co-presenter(s) listed in this proposal must be registered for the conference. Registration should be completed by the Early Bird Deadline.
5. LDOE's Educator Review Committees for Science
Interest Surveys for 2018 Science Committees
Data Review Committee:
Meeting Date: Sept. 13-14
Survey Closes: June 29
Meeting Date: Sept. 17-18
Survey Closes: June 29
Meeting Date: Sept. 19-20
Survey Closes: June 29
Meeting Date: July 31 - Aug. 2
Survey Closes: May 4
7. PBS LearningMedia: Engineering and Technology Resources
Check out these Engineering and Technology resources in PBS LearningMedia this month. Don't have a PBS LearningMedia account yet? Go to LPB's Education Page and scroll down to the LPB LearningMedia login box. Click on "Not yet a member, Sign Up now!"
• Building Big, Grades 3-6: Get students moving, collaborating, and learning with engineering challenges from "Building Big." It's designed to teach students about the science behind bridges, domes, tunnels, and more.
• Engineering Is...Collection, Grades 6-12: Explore how scientists and engineers work together to investigate issues, make discoveries, and develop solutions with this collection from @KQEDeducation.
• Design Squad Nation, Grades 3-8: Making marshmallow blasters and balloon cars isn't just fun. These activities equip students with the science and math skills they need to tackle design and engineering challenges!
• Let's Discover: Engineering with Sesame Street, Grades PK-1st: Even the youngest learners can explore engineering! And who better to learn with than our friends at @SesameStreet? Investigate engineering principals with Abby & Elmo.
Bonus: DON'T FORGET YOUR COMPLIMENTARY LSTA MEMBERSHIP
In an effort to support teachers of science this year during the implementation of the revised LSSS, LSTA is extending a complimentary membership to ALL Louisiana teachers of science, administrators, and informal educators until October 24, 2018.
All you need to do is complete and send in a membership form!! Contact your regional representative or download a form from our LSTA web site!
And more good news for current members. While the LSTA Board is celebrating with the 1000 + Louisiana science teachers who attended the NSTA Area Conference in New Orleans, the board acknowledges the high cost of a national event. As a result, the Board has approved extending membership expiration dates from November of 2017 to November 2018.
Check Out the Caddo Science Newsletter Archives!
Check out the archive of the Caddo Science Newsletters.
Important K-6 Science Dates
June 6: K-2 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
June 7: 3-5 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
June 20-21: 6-12 Summer Science Institute 8:30am-3:30pm
July 17: K-2 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
July 18: 3-5 Science Institute 8:30am-3pm
July 19: Overview of the K-5 Louisiana Student Standards for Science 8:30-3pm
July 25-26: 6-12 Summer Science Institute 8:30am-3:30pm
July 23: Google Science Journal (in the ‘Technology Trainings’ folder)
July 26: K-5 Dash Into STEM 1:00pm - 3:30pm
August 6: LATM/LSTA Concurrent Sessions (1hour) Proposal Due
October 22-24: 2018 LATM/LSTA Joint Conference