Sept. 13, 2019
This Week at RM
- Planning mtg for EL in 1A 10a
- Weishaar at ThoughtExchange Training 12:30-3:30p CAA
- Para/Aide meeting 2:15p
- Staff Meeting - BLT and our committees 3:30-4:15p
- PTA mtg. 6:30p
- Principal Meeting 8:30a-11:30a
- Sped Dx Team mtg. 12:15
- Planning mtg for BF in 3Y
- Planning mtg for SB in 6B
- Planning mtg for JS in 1F
- District Site Council 6-7:30p
- 5th band/strings intro night 5:30p in cafeteria
- Carnival 5:30-8:00p
STAFF REMINDER - CHANGE PASSWORD
Please remind staff that they have until September 27, 2019, to complete their annual network password change. Additional information can be found on the ICT Info page
Shout out to Amy Frick, Jodi Miller, Ariel Starr, and Kim Mcleroy! Their use of the Chip Kits was spot on! Even though they were in their first few attempts at using the kits, their language, pacing, and routines were explicit, perky, and systematic.
Teaching with Tech
I recently took on a supplemental role to support teaching and learning with technology. I will be partnering with a secondary coach and our assignment is to help coordinate information for teachers and parents around Shawnee Mission’s use of technology as well as support teachers and students in using the technology in a meaningful way. Check out the first Teaching with Tech Newsletter.
Ideas and Resources
I attended the Kansas MTSS conference on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and had the opportunity to learn from leading experts in Math, John SanGiovanni and Graham Fletcher (Look for them on Twitter), and National Reading Gurus, David Kilpatrick, Linda Farrell, and Timothy Shanahan. I’m still spinning form the brain overload but would like to retain and internalize what I learned through sharing my learning. So, from time-to-time, I’m going to share a few nuggets with you but I want to make sure it’s timely and relevant to you and the work and learning youWANT to do.
Here are the session topics I attended. If any of these are part of your learning goals or things you want to know more about or want to try and implement together, please ask!
- Number Sense and Reasoning Routines K-5 and 6-8. John SanGiovanni. Daily routines to jump start math class- (If you attended Joanna Roche’s Instructional Fair Session, you have most of these routines but he shared a few new ones with us this week.)
- Harnessing the Power of the Purposeful Task (3-Act Tasks). Graham Fletcher
- How and When to use Decodable Readers for Maximum Effectiveness. Linda Farrell
- Recent Advances in Understanding Word-Level Reading Problems: Implications for Instruction and InterventionDavid Kilpatrick
- Teaching Students to Read Complex Text Timothy Shanahan
- Five Actions for Productive Struggle (K-5) John SanGiovanni
LEGO Building Competition- Oct. 5, 2019. See PDFs for more information.
Dear Teachers & NAWIC Supporters!!
The National Association of Women In Construction (NAWIC) Gr. Kansas City Chapter #100 is inviting you to our 31st Annual Block Kids Building Competition!
NAWIC Block Kids is open to grade school-aged GIRLS and BOYS! Kids participate in a mini "trades fair" and get to learn what real carpenters, iron workers, painters, operators and other positions in the construction industry do for a living.
AND, we have a building competition where participants put their imaginations to work with LEGO building blocks, string, foil and construction paper. Prizes for each age group and the grand prize winner will advance to regional and national competitions!
This event is free, but pre-registration is required.
Mark this date on your calendar!
Saturday, October 5, 2019
Same Place: Builders Association Training Center
North Kansas City, MO
We are contacting you for help in getting our Block Kids information out to your students and their families!