The Mane Place for Lion News
Secondary Campus Newsletter - Nov. 4, 2022
Veteran’s Day Celebration
The Fine Arts Area (Art, Band, Theatre) will be performing during the event, and guest speakers, State Representative Jared Patterson and City Councilman John Keating will be speaking as well. If your family has a Veteran of the US Armed Services at home, we welcome them to come and be a part of this great celebration!
Friday, Nov 11, 2022, 02:15 PM
8100 Teel Parkway, Frisco, TX, USA
LPS School Board Meeting
It’s Dyslexia Awareness Month!
At LPS, we want to recognize the strengths and brilliance that a student with dyslexia brings to our school community! Take a moment to check out these awesome resources to learn more about dyslexia.
Community Service Hours are Required EACH Semester
To access the volunteer app, sign in here: https://app.helperhelper.com/
We have events listed every Friday evening with Generations Hope from 5:30-8:30. More information is on the Helper Helper website/app!
Community Service Requirements
Leadership Prep School Secondary Campus Students are expected to complete a designated number of hours of service learning each semester. Elementary = 4 hours Middle School = 5 hours High School = 6 hours These hours can be fulfilled through a variety of projects, and some may be coordinated by the school or individual classes.
Nominate a Teacher
In celebration of the teachers who change lives every day, the Dewey Awards are seeking stories of inspirational teachers. The annual Dewey Awards invites educators, students, and parents to submit a story of their change-making teacher by October 28, 2022, for the chance at a $1,000 grant gifted to the charter school of their choice.
SUBMIT YOUR STORY
Picking just three winners for the $1,000 charter school grants is no easy task, but our amazing Review Board will read or watch all submissions and select the most inspirational educator stories. We’ve asked them to judge based on what makes their heart pitter-patter. We’re not looking for grammatical perfection, video prowess, or writing expertise—just powerful stories of teachers that inspire.
Parent Partnership Opportunities!
Volunteer with LPS Comp Sci
We encourage our LPS parents in the computer science industry to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to co-teach or tutor in the classroom during that time.
- You would be helping students work through the design process and debugging their code along with reminding them to keep a journal of their learning.
Even if you would only like to guest lecture once, we'd love to host you!
When you email email@example.com, you will reach all the CTE teachers that would love your help with amazing projects and events in the classroom.
Other opportunities for Parent Partnership:
- We are always looking for guest speakers! Particularly the course of our 8th-grade careers looks to offer these for the students a few times every nine weeks. If you're interested in this please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com , or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Band Needs Volunteer Mentors! We are looking for some retirees who would be willing to be ‘band mentors’ and play their instruments with our high school/middle school band. You have the choice of joining us during MOD 4 (11:00-11:51 AM) or MOD 7 (1:59-2:50 PM), whichever works best for you, a minimum of two days a week (your choice!). Please contact Dr. Michael Stone (972-370-3650 x 638 or email: email@example.com) for more information!” Dr. Michael Stone LPS Head Band Director 972-370-3650 Ext. 638
- Parent Pride Patrol! The Pride Patrol is a welcome presence in the hallways, stairwells and lunchroom. Parents can greet students, build rapport, check for hall passes and monitor safety. The time commitment is minimal. Time slots are in 30-minute increments on Mondays and Fridays. Sign up for a time slot here
Science Olympiad practices are Mondays (room 132) and Thursdays (room 134) from 3:50PM to 4:30PM.
Students are able to compete with no more than 4 students on 3 events, as well as an overall competition event. The 3 events include, the Balsa Bridge, Mousetrap Vehicle, and the Straw Tower. These events are timed and students are given specific parameters. Practices are Mondays and Thursdays to prepare for the state competition on January 28, 2023.
All Things Seniors Class of 2023
Yearbook recognition ads are a great way for parents, families and friends to commemorate student achievements and important milestones. In addition, revenues from recognition ads help our school to create a better yearbook. To purchase your ad online, visit Jostensadservice.com. Jostens is managing your school's yearbook ad sales so please do not contact or send materials to the school.
Thursday, Nov 17, 2022, 06:00 PM
8100 Teel Parkway, Frisco, TX, USA
LPS Parent Pride Patrol!
Don't know what LPS Parent Pride Patrol is? It is a program for parents to be involved and servant lead. It's an easy job, you are actively present, slightly intimidating, yet friendly and you get to wear a cool vest and have a Walkie Talkie. The Pride Patrol is a welcome presence in the hallways, stairwells and lunchroom. Parents can greet students, build rapport, check for hall passes and monitor safety. The time commitment is minimal. Time slots are in 30-minute increments. Sign up for one or several!
We currently have Pride Patrol on Mondays and Fridays.
Steps to get started:
- If you haven't already done so for this year, you will need to complete the yearly background check (this information is kept confidential) before serving (you don't hear back unless there is an issue)
- Sign up for a time slot here
- Review this list of things to look for and do while on patrol
Show up for your time slot(s) at the Secondary Front Office. You will need to check in with your ID. There will be a special place to get your Pride Patrol vest and Walkie Talkie.