Updates from Washington Elementary - Monday, September 16
Mr. Russell, Principal - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Schram, Administrative Assistant - 414.773.1805
Mrs. Hill-Gordon - Educational Assistant - 414.773.1806
Attendance Line - 414.773.1802
Reminder! Update Demographic and Emergency Contact Information in Infinite Campus
When the school district switched over to Infinite Campus(IC) this summer all emergency contact information was lost. If you have not done so already, please go into your IC account parent portal ASAP and check your families demographic information (phone/address/email address change, etc) and enter in emergency contact information.
If you have not created an account for Infinite Campus yet and do not think you received an email, please check your spam folder. You should have received an activation code from the district.
- To set up your account click here: https://bit.ly/2YBEZSH
- Once your account is set up, here is a link on how you can check and update contact information: https://bit.ly/2K9c404
- If you have problems creating your account or cannot find the email with your activation code, please contact the district here: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This is the parent portal link: https://wauwatosawi.infinitecampus.org/campus/portal/wauwatosa.jsp
This week, all students in grades SK-5 will take the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) test in reading. We administer MAP to determine instructional level and to measure
academic growth throughout the school year and also year to year in the areas of Reading and Math.
MAP tests are unique in that they are taken on a computer and can adapt to the child’s learning level. As a result, each student has the same opportunity to succeed and maintain a positive attitude toward testing. These tests are aligned to the Wisconsin State Standards and provide valuable instructional information to assist teachers with your child’s learning in the classroom.
For more information about MAP, please contact your child's teacher or can click HERE and learn more about it.
School Safety Drills
We will be practicing our first lock down drill this week. I wanted to inform you in case your child comes home and talks about it. We are required to do several drill throughout the year, including monthly fire drills, two severe weather and lockdown drills and an off-site evacuation drill. We will inform parents about these drills as we practice them.
As part of our ongoing evaluation of how we can improve safety and security measures, the Wauwatosa School District continues to work with the Wauwatosa Police Department for guidance and training. As part of this work, trained law enforcement have trained district staff on the updated emergency and crisis response plans. The training is based on the most current research on this topic.
As staff are trained, teachers will then share the procedures with their classes. We will then practice the emergency/crisis Standard Response Protocols (SRP) with our students. Teachers will use discretion and be age appropriate when discussing topics and practicing drills with your child.
Below are the keywords we will be using. It is important as a parent to familiarize yourself with these words and what they mean as we will use them to communicate in the event of an emergency.
Lockout = Threat outside the building
Lockdown = Threat inside the building, which could include a weapon
Evacuate or Shelter = Bomb or Tornado drill
Hold in Classroom = Medical Emergency or Disturbance in the Hall
Additional information and further explanation of each drill is attached to this letter. It is critically important we practice these procedures to ensure students and staff are prepared in the event of a real emergency. Parents/guardians will receive notification from their school about each monthly drill.
Here are a few links to view if you are interested in learning more about SRP training and furthering the conversation at home about this topic:
http://iloveuguys.org/srp.html - Website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_IVkiaE08 – Video
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.
Please take the time to visit the follow links to join the PTA and get involved. We are looking for people to help with all the Washington Events.
Give the gift of volunteering....
Volunteer Link- https://forms.gle/c9mJMLK7hXj8gFUy6
Purchase Spirit wear- https://squareup.com/store/washington-elementary-pta-4
Thursday September 19th- First PTA Meeting 6pm. Join us for the meeting and a social afterwards at Bel Air.
Friday September 27th - Save the date for the first school event of the year: Olympic Game Night 6-8p (Click on flyer for more information)
Click here for the 2019-20 Washington Events Calendar
Also for your reference, the 2019-20 Wauwatosa School District calendar is available here.
Stay in the loop! Join the Washington Facebook Group
- Post school-related questions and pictures
- Receive helpful links to school info
- Connect names with faces
Please take note:
- 67th Street is ONE way SOUTHBOUND during drop-off and pick-up. Between 7:00-8:30am and 2:00-3:30pm traffic is only allowed to move southbound.
- Thank you ahead of time for being considerate to our neighbors on 67th and all around our building by NOT blocking driveways nor turning around in driveways. 67th street is extremely busy in the morning and at dismissal so your continued efforts at being patient and follow the posted rules help keep everyone safe.
- There is a handicap parking sign posted on the north end of the cutout on 67th Street. Cars, buses and daycare vans should avoid this area at all times. Thank you for your cooperation.
- 68th street - please follow posted rules. There are only a few 15min spots, otherwise there is NO parking on 68th street.
Please review the link, Safe Routes to School: School Map, for some important reminders to help improve the safety of students and others around Washington School.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Right At School Before/After School Program, JK Wrap Around Care
Registration is open for JK wrap-around program and before and after-school care offered at each Wauwatosa School District elementary school through our provider, Right At School.
How to register for the Right At School programs:
- Head to www.rightatschool.org
- Click on “Find a Program” at the top of the page
- Enter your zip code
- Register at the school your child attends
- Select the program(s) of your choice (JK Wrap, Early Adventures – before-school care, or The Right Club – after-school care)
Additionally, here is a list of helpful parent FAQs regarding the Right At School programs.
If you have any additional questions or if you need help while registering for the Right At School programs, please contact the number for Right At School that is listed on each of the flyers.
When: Mon. afternoons, Tues. afternoons or Wed. mornings
What: Help Mrs. Pankratz check in and shelve books while she recovers from surgery
Why: Help the school community
Who: Please email Mrs. Pankratz if you can help:
email@example.com or call: 773-1878