Happy New Year Parents
End of Quarter and Testing Updates
6th Grade Midterm Testing- A Message to Parents
The first semester of the year is coming to a close in 10 days and grades will be closing shortly in many classes. Here are some important dates:
January 9th: Midterm Testing for ALL Students
January 10th: Miterm Testing for ALL Students
January 17th: End of Quarter 2
January 23rd: Start of Quarter 3 (new electives for students)
January 31st: Report Cards
Now is an important time to focus on academics and have important conversations with your student. Here are a few things you can do to support your student:
- Take a moment to study: Middle school is a great time for students to develop responsibility. Sit down with your student this week and spend time studying. Let them ask their teachers for material and make sure they are prepared for testing this week.
- Check PowerSchool for grade updates: Many of our teachers update grades frequently and give feedback to students. The best way to keep up with students grades and have conversations is to check PowerSchool each week. Please contact Ms. Habel (Lauren.Habel@dpsnc.net) or Ms. Keaton (Shon.Keaton@dpsnc.net).
- Read, Read, Read!! Research suggests middle school students benefit greatly from reading aloud every night with an adult. Our students also benefit from building stamina through reading each day for at least 20-30 minutes silently. Reading is their #1 homework.
- Talk about behavior with your student: It is normal for students to struggle with their behavior during the transition into middle school. We do not want your student to face serious consequences, but will maintain our strong expectations for the classroom so all students can learn. Check in on how your student is doing and follow up with teachers.
The more we work as a team, the better off all our students will be. Please help make our team strong by ensuring other parents have these announcements and you connect with our teachers. Take these three easy steps today to support all our students:
- Forward the parent newsletter to other families you know and make sure they are engaged. They can email Mr. Hickson (information below) to sign up for the newsletter.
- Sign up for the parent remind: https://www.remind.com/join/28de4bd
- Contact teachers to ask how you can support their classroom and your child.