Countdown to Kindergarten
Dear Future Kindergarten Coyote Families:
Dear Future Kindergarten Kinnaman Families:
Your child’s attitude toward school is usually established long before entering school in September. The following “helpful hints” may help you and your child make a smooth transition to kindergarten:
- Point out Kinnaman as you drive, ride, or walk past and say, “Look! That’s YOUR school. You are going to have so much fun in kindergarten! ” Talk about school as an exciting milestone in their life.
- Help your child to think of teachers, counselors, the principal, and other school staff as positive, supportive adults. "They are here to help you become the best learner possible. If you have questions or concerns, they are the first people that you go to while at school."
- Visit your local library and book stores. Read a variety of stories with your child. Reading the same story more than once.... Get your child excited about books!
- Actively listen to your child and encourage verbal expression of thoughts and feelings. Help your child use language to describe experiences by asking “what, when, where” questions.
- Provide your child with opportunities for a wide variety of experiences. If possible, take trips to parks, zoos, museums, historical sites, and special events. You can even visit the playground at Kinnaman.
- Give your child some “at home” responsibilities such as putting toys away, setting the table, or bringing in the mail.
- Spend some “special time” with your child. This may include reading, drawing, coloring, playing with the toys, playing games, or just having fun.
- Most importantly, read, read, and read some more!
Hope you are enjoying all the wonders of summer and look forward to seeing you soon!
Ashlee Hudson & Carmen Anderson
4 Simple Ways to Practice Taking Turns
One of the biggest adjustments kindergarten students face when coming to school is having to take turns, wait patiently, and cope with disappointment when they don't get what they want. Here are 4 Simple Ways to Practice Taking Turns at home and in the community that will help your child become kindergarten ready.
School Cafe Registration & Meal Benefits
Registration for School Cafe for 2019-2020 began on July 1st. School Cafe allows you to make payments to your student's lunch account, apply for free/reduced lunch meal benefits, view monthly lunch menus and receive low balance alerts.
Click here to enroll in the Beaverton School District School Cafe online system.
Visit the BSD Meal Benefits page to view more information on meal benefits, pricing and charging procedures.
You can help prepare your child for lunch in the cafeteria, by practicing entering their pin number using the template attached. The pin number is the same as your child's student ID number which you can access via ParentVue following registration.