VCR Lesson 3 Presentation
few people in a dominant class ( popular and rich )
- sometimes dominating in nature
- no input of the people like a democracy
- oligos- few
- arkhein- to begin , to be first
- arkhos- ruler, first in rank
Alterations in parts of speech
- oligarch - ruler in an oligarchy
- oligarchic - describing something as being ruled by a few
- Medieval Latin
- despotism (more of a dictatorship but can apply to oligarchies)
A) The small town had a strict oligarchy where Martha was their supreme ruler.
B) Aristotle was an oligarch in the Greeks government along with other philosophers.
C) The island's oligarchic efforts for government were failed attempts because the few leaders would not cooperate with each other.
D) Some people think oligarchies are much like dictatorships because the people have no say in their government and rulers take over things.