3L Weekly News
Week Ending March 20, 2015
This week in...
Reading: we spent time completing Daily 5 activities such as read to self and reading with a partner.
Math: this week we spent time responding to open-ended questions. This week, we worked on responses that incorporated line plots, area/perimeter, and fractions. Additionally, we reviewed elapsed time and double-digit lattice. At home, encourage your child show you how to do lattice. Each student is doing a great job with it!
Science: we began working on concrete poems. A concrete poem is a picture created and outlined with words. We used our predictions and results to design these word pictures. Keep your eye out for them at Expo!
Cursive: we learned how to make the cursive: b and w and how to connect it to other letters such as: r, c, a, d, g, h, t, p, e, l, f, u, y, i, j, k, s, and o.
Check This Out!
Since we have SO MANY students interested in Legos, I thought this would be great to share with you! The Franklin Institute has an exhibit called Ben Brick's House. It's a "A LEGO-filled design-and-play area." Be sure to check it out! More information can be found on the link below.
1. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
2. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through think central.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's Agenda book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
- We will have our spelling assessment on Wednesday, March 25, 2015.
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Kiley: Friday, March 27th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Sean: Monday, March 23, 2015
- *Posters will come home one week before your child's scheduled date.
- Sarah Casey: Tuesday, March 31 @ 8:40
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
· March 23rd-Group Picture Day
· March 23rd-School Store
· March 23rd-Report Cards available in Genesis (Grades 1-5)
· March 27th-3rd Grade Water Ice Sale and Playground Dedication and Ribbon Cutting
· April 1st-CS PAC Meeting Room 191 3:10 pm
· April 3-Snow Day Make up-1/2 day for students
· April 6-10-Spring Recess
· April 13-School Reopens (Day 1)
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 4:
Tuesday is a Day 5:
Wednesday is a Day 6:
Thursday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Music
Friday is a Day 2:
- Gym and Library
A Word from Third
None at this time.