Weekly Penguin News
Park Village Elementary - A 2018 CA Distinguished School
09/30 -- Last day to order yearbooks with 10% discount
Go to https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/all/schools/52513 for PVES digital flyers
Dear Park Village Families,
As you are aware, PUSD announced that our school will be reopening for on campus learning beginning Monday, October 12th. Our students participating in the Virtual Learning Academy will continue without any changes.
For those of you who chose in-person learning, please note the following:
- AM/PM Scheduling: We are in the process of finalizing AM/PM configurations. Detailed information will be shared by your classroom teachers the week of 9/21.
- PVES Reopening Plan: Our School Reopening plan for Learning, Health, and Safety (found on our website) is being revised to reflect the most up to date information (week of 9/21).
- Schedules: Updated schedules for AM/PM sessions are being updated. These will be posted on our website by mid-week (9/23).
- Arrival/Dismissal Times: We will send detailed arrival and dismissal procedures as our opening date approaches.
- Meals: School meals will continue to be free to all PUSD students. Details about lunch will be provided as our opening date approaches.
- Community Forum: We will host another community forum to discuss reopening details and to answer questions. Our meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, October 8th at 6:00 pm. More details will be coming soon.
Information Regarding AM/PM Configurations
- Students in ESS will be placed in the AM session and will go directly to ESS after their in-person learning.
- Every effort is being made to place siblings in the same AM or PM session.
- Students receiving speech, OT, and RSP services are being grouped according to IEP needs as feasible.
- After the considerations listed above, the remaining AM/PM session placements will be based upon class balancing and instructional considerations. Please note that all of our classroom rosters are impacted and, as a result, we are unable to accept parent requests for preference. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Preparing for Returning to School
- Guidebook 2.0: Please review the PUSD Reopening Guidebook 2.0 for health and safety protocols, including symptom screenings, handwashing, physical distancing, face coverings, sanitizing, and what happens in the case of COVID-19 symptoms or exposure.
- Please review the following with your child: How to wear a mask correctly, proper mask wearing video , How to wash your hands properly , and handwashing videos.
- Masks: PUSD is requiring all students, preschool through 12th grade, to wear masks at school to provide increased protection for staff and students and prevent the spread of COVID-19 once our schools reopen.
Thank you so much for your continued partnership, support, and understanding through this unprecedented time. I look forward to a safe and successful return to campus on October 12th.
Golden Envelope Pledge Drive
by Kari Marshall, Treasurer, Park Village Foundation
The Foundation and PTA continue to combine efforts to simplify fundraising and to provide all support and services to Park Village Elementary. As in previous years, we met with Principal Mosgrove prior to the start of the school year to discuss the school’s proposed funding needs. We then planned our fundraising goals and events to meet those needs. Based on this year’s proposal, our budget for the 2020-2021 school year is $183,000. This amount funds extra curriculum in academic and social enrichment programs the same way they were funded by the Foundation and PTA in prior school years.
Where does your money go?
Approximately 98.2% of our budget goes toward the school’s academic and social programs. We are proud to say we have continued to keep our operating expenses to a minimum, ensuring that the maximum amount of each donation is used to support our school.
Our pledge drive is ongoing! Our suggested Pledge Drive donation is $350 per student. We are encouraging ONLINE donations this year through our website: www.parkvillagefoundation.com/pledge-drive.
If you are unable to donate online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
The best way to double your donation is to check with your employer to see if they participate in a corporate matching program. Because we are a 501(c)(3) organization, we should qualify for matching. If your company does have a corporate matching program, please let us know that you applied so we know to look for it!
PARK VILLAGE ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
If your child will be absent for the entire day (unable to attend Zoom meetings, log on to Canvas, and complete assignments), please remember to call the attendance hotline at (858) 538-0437.
If you are having technical difficulties and need tech help
Visit Parent Resources on powayusd.com should you need assistance. The "Parent Academy" and "Parent Resources" sections have overviews/tutorials for the digital tools being used, help with online access, parent education classes, and more. For quick reference, should you need help with accessing PUSD online information, please e-mail the PUSD Help Desk: email@example.com. If you need help with your child's account information, please visit password.powayusd.com.
PTA Reflections Program 2020
by Jennifer Myers, Reflections Chair
Calling All Creative Kids! This year’s Reflections theme is “I matter because...”
This year is will be digital to limit contact. You can enter all your info and upload the entry with the link below.
Artwork will need to be carefully photographed or scanned.
Entries will be due by 9pm, October 16th.
Entries will be displayed in a digital gallery. As dance choreography and film pieces are likely to have images of students, there is the option to opt out of the digital gallery. I will reach out to parents individually as needed on this issue.
Rules by Category and Student packets can be downloaded at:
Please note the student packets on this site will include an entry form. Please do NOT use this form, you will need to enter online.
Ask your child to think about the theme and talk about what it means to them. The thought process behind the entries is as important as the how well the creative works are executed.
Brainstorming Starting Points:
I matter to someone/something? I matter to a family member, pet, friend, an organization...
I matter to my grandma because we play checkers every Sunday, or I matter to my dog because I take him on walks and feed him
I matter because I make my school/city/world a better place? How?
I matter because my girl scout troop helps clean up beaches.
I matter because I will grow up to do great things...
I matter because I read books about science and I want to cure diseases.
I matter because I am part of a generation that will...
I matter because my generation and I will take the steps to slow global warming.
I matter because of my actions...
I matter because I wear a mask to help slow the spread of COVID19 and other diseases.
I matter because I care about...
I matter because I care about why people are protesting in our streets.
Let your child get creative and have fun! They can create a piece of artwork or short film, take a photo, choreograph a dance, and/or write a song or story that captures the theme in their own unique way!
If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Searching for Friends of the Foundation
FREE GRAB-AND-GO MEALS Breakfast and Lunch
Breakfast and Lunch Distribution 7:00 AM TO 8:30 AM & 11:00 AM TO 1:00 PM
Curbside Meal Service – Walk Ins Welcome
*Available for all students enrolled in PUSD and any PUSD Transition student up to age 22
NOTE: Only one breakfast and lunch meal per eligible student per school day.
No ID is required for PUSD students. Parents are encouraged to bring their child with them to pick up meals. Parents may pick up meals without a child but must present one of the following items: Student ID number, student ID card, or an official letter/email from the school listing the child enrolled at a PUSD campus.
Meals will be available at these school sites
Del Norte High School (16601 Nighthawk Lane, San Diego, CA 92127)
Los Penasquitos Elementary School (14125 Cuca St., San Diego CA 92129)
Meadowbrook Middle School (12320 Meadowbrook Lane, Poway, CA 92064)
Midland Elementary School (13910 Midland Road, Poway, CA 92064)
Mt. Carmel High School (9550 Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego, CA 92129)
Pomerado Elementary School (12321 Ninth Street, Poway CA 92064)
Poway High School (5500 Espola Rd, Poway, CA 92064)
Rancho Bernardo High School (13010 Paseo Lucido, San Diego CA 92128)
Turtleback Elementary School (15855 Turtleback Road, San Diego CA 92127)
Twin Peaks Middle School (14640 Tierra Bonita Road, Poway, CA 92064)
Valley Elementary School (13000 Bowron Rd, Poway, CA 92064)
Westview High School (13500 Camino Del Sur, San Diego, CA 92129)
Box Tops for Education
BOX TOPS has transitioned to digital submission! It's now easier than ever to earn money for our school. Download the app, scan your receipt, and your earnings will instantly show up in the PVE account.
- The new method of submitting Box Tops is to scan your receipt via a downloadable app. The new style Box Tops will say "SCAN" and may only be submitted this way.
- You have 14 days to scan your receipt otherwise, it becomes invalid.
- Please watch the "how to" video below for more information & instructions.
We will be having competitions as the year goes on. Here's how to start:
1. Download the app.
2. Scan your receipt every time you go to a grocery store. You don't even have to check to see if you bought anything that is Box Tops. Just get in the habit of scanning after every grocery trip. The app will tell you if you earned box tops for your school.
3. At the bottom of the app, find the "star" and enter your teacher's name for credit for your class.
Contact Box Tops Chair, Cheryl Sifferlen, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Shop at Amazon and Earn Money for PV
Did you know you can support PV all year long with as little as a mouse click? Use our link to Amazon every time you make a purchase so our school can receive a cash-back percentage of your total order. Better yet, bookmark our Amazon link and use it as you buy those needed last minute back-to-school items, holiday gifts, and more. It’s a win-win! Plus, if you designate “Park Village Elementary Education Foundation” as the charity for AmazonSmile, you earn an additional 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases for PV Foundation. https://smile.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwpveefcom-20
Park Village is on Social Media!
Visit our social media pages to view video messages from our teachers! We love seeing photos of our kiddos distance learning and having fun at home. Don’t forget to tag us!
Follow us on Facebook:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/parkvillagefoundation/
D.A.D.S. Group: https://www.facebook.com/ParkVillageDADS/
Park Village PTA: https://www.facebook.com/PVpenguinsPTA
Follow us on Instagram:
Park Village Elementary: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillageelem/
D.A.D.S. Group: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagedads/