Peek at the Week
August 8, 2014
Curriculum Nights for 2014-2015
- Tuesday, August 12 for grades K-2 at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 14 for grades 3-5 at 6:30 p.m.
Mark your calendars now for this very important parent meeting! We hope to have 100% of our parents in attendance. Child care will be available for children age 3 and over. Please arrive early if you plan to use our child care.
The Book Fair is HERE!
Back to School Important Reminders
As we start the 2014-2015 school year, we want to offer a few friendly reminders that will allow the school year to go smoothly for all. We ask that you take a moment to review these reminders.
- Please assist your child in learning his or her car rider number. We appreciate your assistance as it helps the car rider dismissal go smoothly when students know their number.
- Please make only right hand turns out of the car rider parking lot. Left hand turns present a safety hazard. We appreciate your attention to safety for all.
- Car riders need should arrive by 8:10. After that time, parents will need to park and walk your child to the front office.
- Please note that the use of cell phones is not permitted in the car rider line. We need all attention on the safety of the students.
- Cars are not permitted in the bus lanes (front drive) between 7:30-8:15 a.m. or from 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Student checkouts must occur prior to 2:15 p.m. After 2:15, parent pick-ups will take place from the car rider line.
- We are unable to accept changes in transportation via phone call or email. We must have any transportation changes in writing with a parent signature and photo ID. Your child's safety is our number 1 priority!
- Remember that students are not allowed to charge lunch more than 2 times so please keep a watchful eye on your child's lunch account to ensure funds are available for lunch purchases. A MyPaymentsPlus account is an easy way to monitor your child's account.
- Food from outside vendors/restaurants is not allowed in our cafeteria. Please do not bring fast food items when you visit your child at lunch time (once visitor times have resumed).
We sincerely thank you for your support of these important procedures. It will help everyone to have a very safe and successful year with your support. We look forward to an outstanding school year!
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Please click the link below for a list of skills that we ask that you teach to your child on his/her device before sending the device to school. This will allow us to maximize instructional time and allow your child to maximize learning time by knowing these skills in advance.
From the Harbins PTA
Upcoming PTA Dates:
August 11th - 5:00 p.m. Family Life/Events Committee meeting – Topic Harbins Day/ Silent Auction
August 11th - 6:00 p.m. PTA Planning Session (open to all members)
August 12th -6:30 p.m. PTA Volunteer Recruitment/Curriculum night, Grades K-2
August 14th - 6:30 pm. PTA Volunteer Recruitment/Curriculum night, Grades 3-5
August 15th NOTE DATE CHANGE Hospitality - Welcome back - Chick-Fil-A Teacher Lunch
Join PTA for $5 The PTA still needs you to join! Your $5 membership per parent and $20 donation fees are what fuel the many "extras" at school (most of which you'd be surprised to hear aren't covered without PTA). Joining does NOT mean you are now on a list to volunteer. It means you are supporting important aspects of your child's school experience. PTA membership form attached.
Please sign up for PTA Volunteer Recruitment! - Harbins PTA is now using VolunteerSpot, the leading online signup and reminder tool, to organize volunteers for all the events and activities that the PTA sponsors.
Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/AfbTHk
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
3. Sign up and choose the spots that work for your schedule and interests – VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders.
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me (Kim Jones) and I can sign you up.
PTA Open Chair and Co-Chair Positions:
Fundraising Chair and Co-Chair, Valentine's Dance Co-Chair, Hospitality Co-Chair, 5th Grade Lead Room Rep Chair and Co-Chair, Volunteer Coordinator. Co Chair – please contact Angela Valenzuela at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-653-7785 for more information. All committees are also looking for help. See the attached contact list for a committee that interests you.
The “FUN”raiser - NEW! This year, Harbins PTA will try a new approach to fundraising! (Donation Form Attached)
Instead of the product based sales, we are doing a Harbins “Fun”raiser. Each family is asked to make a one-time donation of $20 for each student. Imagine a school year without having to ask your family members, co-workers or neighbors to buy, no upset children, no collecting money then distributing purchases! And best of all imagine a year where Harbins PTA is able to keep every dollar brought in and give it back to our school! We must meet the minimum amount of donations by October 1st for this to be a success and not do a product fundraiser. Help spread the word – Donate Today!
All money raised from PTA membership and fundraiser events at Harbins Elementary goes toward family events like our Harbins Days Fall Festival event, Breakfast with Santa, the Valentine's Dance, purchase of new technology for our classrooms, teacher grants, Study Island, etc. By participating in the “Fun”raiser you will help contribute to all PTA events and help make Harbins even better!
Reflections -What the world needs is to know your inner artist! Choreograph a dance, produce a film, write a poem or story, compose a song, take a picture or create a piece of visual art and tell us your interpretation of the theme: “The world would be a better place if…” Pick up a PTA Reflections Entry Form today from the Library and return by date TBD in September 2014.
SAVE the DATE 10/18/14 – Fall Festival -Harbin’s Days will be here before you know it.
Lunch Guests in the Harbins Cafe--Please Note Changes
Until that time, we will need all lunch seats for students. We will keep you posted and let you know when lunch is open to guests once again. We love having our parents and grandparents join us for lunch so we hope to be able to have guests once again very soon!
Taste of Archer
The fifth annual Taste of Archer will be held Saturday at Archer High School to benefit the Tigers’ football and basketball programs.
#More than 20 food vendors, along with other vendors, will serve up dishes for those who purchase $10 tickets, which are available at the door. The event begins at 11:30 a.m.