The Lion's Den January 20, 2023
MES Family Newsletter
Dear MES Families,
We've packed a lot of learning and fun into a three-day week! January is flying by so you'll see the February calendar added below. We have so many great things happening in February! Our PTO is hosting a GLOW Run, we have partnered with Ms. Rickard, RCPS Math Supervisor, and JMU for what is sure to be an amazing Title I math night, and we have plenty of spirit days on the calendar.
I hope all of you have a great weekend!
Help us stock the fridge for our amazing staff! Please click below to sign up!
Library Info from Ms. Breeden!
Hometown Heroes are Readers Too!!
We are looking for any law enforcement officers, firefighters, EMTs and/or military personnel who would be willing to come in and read to our students on Friday, March 3 from 9-11:30am. A snow date will be scheduled for Friday, March 31 from 9-11:30am. We do ask that uniforms be worn if possible! We will provide you with the books to read and lunch will also be provided to all of our readers!
It’s also Adopt-A-Book time!! If anyone would like to donate a new book to our school library, please click on the Signup Genius link to do so. Thanks so much in advance!
We have reached over 10,000 checkouts in the library! Wahoo!! That’s a lot of reading, way to go Lions!! Lots of fun things are happening in the library these days. We are busily working on our crayon project in the library. Thanks to everyone who has been sending in their broken crayons! Second graders are also gearing up to begin their book publishing project!
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me!
Information From School Nurses
How Sick is Stay-Home-From School Sick?
- Students need to stay home for 24 hours when their temperature is 100 degrees or higher. Do not send your student to school following morning administration of Tylenol or Motrin. In order to return to school, students need to be fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
- Students that are vomiting or have diarrhea (3 or more loose stools) the night before school, they should stay home for 24 hours from the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea.
- Students with persistent yellow/green nasal drainage and have no known allergies or medical history of drainage need to stay home.
- Students with a heavy, persistent cough with sputum present need to stay home until symptoms resolve.
- Students with skin eruptions or undiagnosed skin rashes need to stay home.
- Students that have redness of the eye lining or an irritation of the eyes accompanied by swelling and drainage need to stay home. Students diagnosed with pink eye must stay home until 24 hours of antibiotics have been administered.
- Students prescribed antibiotics must stay home for 24 hours after the first dose is given.
- Students need to stay home if they display any coronavirus symptoms like; fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, fatigue, headache, runny/stuffy nose, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, body/muscle aches, loss of taste or smell.
MES January Calendar
MES February Calendar
Important School Information & Upcoming Dates!
February 1- Global Day of Play
February 9- Super Bowl Spirit Day! Wear your favorite sports jersey!
February 10- Division Inservices- No School for Students
February 13-17- Kindness Week!
Feb. 13- Workout your problems with kindness- wear workout gear!
Feb. 14- Valentine's Day! Wear red, pink, white, and hearts!
Feb. 15- Crazy about kindness- Crazy Hair day
Feb. 16- Spread kindness like confetti! Dress colorful
Feb. 17- MES PTO GLOW RUN!! Wear neon or white for GLOW DAY!
Feb. 23- JMU Math Night at MES! 6pm
February 27-March 3- Read Across America Week!
The 2022-2023 RCPS calendar can be found here!
MES PAW Patrollers!
11:00-1:00: Volunteer in the cafeteria for all lunch shifts (PAW Patrollers are encouraged to have lunch with their child/children during their lunchtimes!)
1:00-2:30: Follow your child's schedule as a classroom volunteer. This may include attending specials/recess with your child!
If you want to learn more about signing up as a PAW Patroller, please contact Ms. Mitchell, our school counselor.
YEARBOOK ORDERS- the deadline to order is February 28th!
1. Student Name
2. Teacher Name
3. Reason for Absence
4. The name of the person submitting the email
You can also use this email address to send Dr. notes!