Types of Art
Paige and Keshauna
Sculptures, pottery, mural, and mosaics were all made by classical artist of Greece and Rome. The purpose of classical art was to show the importance of gods, goddesses, ordinary people, and civic leaders. The characteristics of the classical arts were...
- Artist valued balance and harmony
- Figures were lifelike but often idealized
- Figures were nude or draped in togas or robes.
- Bodies were in an active motion which made look believable.
- Faces were calm and emotionless
- Scenes showed either heroic figures or real people doing task of daily life.
- In paintings, there was a little background or sense of prespective
- Religious, showing Jesus, saints, and people from the Bible.
- Important figures were shown larger than the others around them.
- Looked stiff with little sense of movement.
- Fully dressed in stiff looking clothing.
- Faces were serious and showed little expression.
- Painted figures were two-dimensional or flat.
- Paint colors were bright.
- Background colors were mostly one color, often blue and gold.
- Showed religious and nonreligious scenes.
- Reflected a great interest in nature.
- Figures looked lifelike and three-dimensional, reflecting an increasing knowledge of anatomy.
- Shown in action.
- Either nude or clothed.
- Scenes showed real people doing everyday task.
- Faces expressed what people were feeling.
- Colors were shown responding to light.
- Painting were often symmetrical, or balanced.
- Full backgrounds showed perspective, adding depth.