Understand Food Safety Issues
ServSafe Chapter 1
- Milk and Dairy Products
- Meat: Beef, Pork and Lamb
- Baked Potatoes
- Tofu or other Soy Protein
- Sliced Melons, Cut Tomatoes, and Cut Leafy Greens
- Shell Eggs
- Shellfish and Crustaceans
- Heat-treated Plant food. EX: Cooked Rice and Beans
- Sprouts and Sprout Seeds
- Untreated garlic-and-oil mixtures
- Disease transmitted to people through food.
- 2 or more people have the same symptoms after eating the same food.
- Confirmed by laboratory analysis.
The 3 types of Contaminants
YOPI = Y= Young O= Old = P= Pregnant I= Immune- Deficient
The 5 Risk factors for Food-borne illnesses
- Purchasing food from unsafe resources.
- Failing to cook food correctly.
- Holding food at incorrect temperatures.
- Using contaminated equipment.
- Practicing poor personal hygiene.
2. Leftover chili is cooled on the counter, what is it?
B. Poor personal hygiene
C. Time- Temperature Abuse
TRUE OR FALSE
3. Adults are more likely than pre-school age children to get sick from contaminated food.