Biodegradable Cleaning Products
By: Kori Martens, Rhionna Jubert, and Malcum Kroll
- Green products won't irritate you skin because they're hypoallergenic.
- They don't contain carcinogens.
- Ingredients come from nature.
- Ingredients don't affect ecosystems when they go down the drain.
- They reduce indoor air pollution.
The best way to ensure that you are using biodegradable cleaning products that are safe for the environment is to make them yourself! You can make laundry detergent, window cleaners, all purpose cleaners and other items at home from ingredients that you have in your kitchen or pantry.
Common ingredients in homemade cleaners:
- Baking soda: Deodorizes and scrubs without scratching
- Lemon juice: Cleans, bleaches and deodorizes
- Soap: A few drops of a natural soap like Dr. Bronner's acts as a surfactant
- Vinegar: Deodorizes, kills germs and cleans
Which products are best? How much do they cost?
What makes the cleaning products green?
What sets "green" cleaning products apart from toxic cleaning products...
- made with plant- and mineral-based cleaning ingredients.
- biodegradable ingredients that are naturally derived
- not tested on animals.
- environmentally sustainable packaging whenever possible.
- must be acknowledged by the EPA