FA 3-5 at Allen Elementary
Lots going on in room 61!
It has been extra busy in our classroom these days!
As many of you know, we have officially begun STAAR Alt 2 testing. I have been working very hard since my arrival to make the tests as tailored as possible to each students needs. So far I have been AMAZED by their hard work and ambition when testing! Testing will continue for the next few weeks ending on the 20th of April. Please keep in mind that in order to provide each student with the highest opportunity to be focused and successful, I am planning to conduct the tests in small increments throughout the day. With that being said, any advance notice to absences/dismissals would be so appreciated to alleviate scheduling conflict and the potential stress of extended testing sessions
With STAAR Testing in full swing, I have not been sending home any additional homework for the students. They have been working so incredibly hard in the classroom and testing room and are getting LOTS done! With that being said, I may send home some optional work to support their goals but please enjoy your afternoons and help me in praising their great testing effort!
Show and Tell has been a schedule staple of this classroom for some time now. I so love the idea of the children sharing mementos, memories, and treasures. We have met many (stuffed) friends week after week and would love to transition to a more meaningful sharing activity as we get to know each other better! If you and your child would like to come up with some fun Friday Show and Tell items to bring to school, here are a few ideas:
- - Family photos (I know a few of your families are adding four-legged friends to your packs! We'd love to see the people and pets we hear so much about!)
- - Vacation souveneirs (personal or gifted!)
- - Crafts or projects your child has made
- - A magic trick, special talent, or fun fact!
- - A new book
- - Feel free to send videos to my email that your child would like to share of something your child did at home or athletically!
As we continue study living and nonliving things, we have focused on the qualities of living things (grow, move, and need food, water, and air) Any way that you can encourage this thought process in the home, car, or community would be awesome!
I have also tried my best to change up the spelling routine in the classroom. Here are some ways they are practicing spelling here at school that could transfer to home, too!
- Rainbow write: Write each word or letter a different color, practicing handwriting along the way!
- - Word wall: We have begun a "Speller's School Bus" where words are written on index cards with a picture that helps us understand that word. For example, the word ride has a picture of a car and a roller coaster. Get creative with these- they can be a lot of fun!
- - Magnet letters: Practice spelling on the fridge or anywhere you can think of... Most car bumpers are magnetic if you wanted to enjoy this gorgeous weather too!
- - Secret spelling: write spelling words in white crayon on white paper and let your child unravel the letters one by one!
- Typing: Any and all typing practice we can get is great! It is such a critical skill in today's world.
- Play Doh spell: Try to spell out your words with play Doh! This can get extra fun and the kids LOVE it!
As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns! I truly believe "it takes a village to raise a child," and I am honored to be part of your "villages" :)
Have a wonderful week!
Third Grade Parents!
Just a reminder that field trip forms are due on 4/8! Ms. Daphne will be there along with the 3rd Grade Team to have fun exploring the museum with our friends! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the trip!
Our awesome Allen Students will be taking the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) on the dates below. We love our parents and visitors at Allen, but for test security and confidentiality on testing days, visitors will not be permitted at any time. We are asking all parents to please schedule lunch with your child and volunteer activities on days other than those listed below.
Thank you very much for your support of a secure and successful testing experience for our students involved in STAAR and to make Allen a great school!
GRADE AND SUBJECT