Preparing for your great adventure!
Class * Visa/Arrival * Packing
English Class Topic
If you have not emailed your topic to Robyn Brinks, the English Class Coordinator, please do that immediately! She will give you excellent advice about how to select your topic. This will help your first week of your English class go much smoother!
Remember, when choosing your topic try to be as specific as possible. Narrow your topic down by thinking of a specific question you want to answer.
Example: cars > hybrid cars > What is the popularity of hybrid cars in U.S.?
Email your topic to Robyn Brinks: email@example.com
VISA / ESTA / INSURANCE
VISA & ESTA
- Chinese passport holders, I hope you all got your B1/B2 tourist visas!
- Japanese and Taiwanese passport holders, register through ESTA and make sure to bring a copy of the confirmation page with you since you will need that when you enter the U.S.
- Remember you must bring a hard copy of your completed Stanford University Insurance Coverage Form (we will collect these when you arrive).
- If you don't have insurance when you arrive, you will have to purchase the expensive insurance from Stanford
- We will be emailing you next week with important details on where to meet us at the airport.
- If you arrive before August 3rd, we will also let you know where to meet us at the airport.
This summer will be a great opportunity for all of you to learn about other cultures and also to share your own. Feel free to bring an item to help introduce your culture to others (small and not heavy are best!). We will also have a Cultural Talent Show so keep that in mind as you pack :)
Please limit your luggage to ONE suitcase and one other bag such as a backpack. Remember that if you bring it, you must carry it! Also, you will probably want to buy some souvenirs while you are here, so don’t forget to leave some space in your luggage for the return trip!
Each year we have a Final Farewell Banquet where everyone is invited to dress up. You may want to pack one nice outfit for this event.
Also, there are free laundry facilities at the dormitory and we will provide detergent as well.
Here is the suggested packing list information you received at orientation:
- t-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, sweater or sweatshirt, jacket*
- pants, shorts, skirts
- comfortable shoes for walking
- sportswear for exercise (e.g. bathing suit, shorts, running shoes)
- warm pajamas
- for men: a suit for special occasions
- for women: one nice dress/outfit
*Weather in the Bay Area can change a lot throughout the day and based on where you are. Mornings and nights can be cool; be sure to bring a jacket or sweatshirt.
- notebook and dictionary
- writing utensils
- laptop computer or tablet (if you have one)
Other Important Items
- shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.
- small face towel and bath towel
- shower slippers
- hair dryer
- alarm clock
- extra pair of eye glasses and/or contact lenses