The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
February 16 - 19, 2016
Quote of the Week...
"One child, one teacher, one pen and one book can change the world" ~ Malala Yousafzai
Welcome to Our Newest Mighty Red Bird - Kaitlin Welch
Mental Health Training - Due February 29th
FCPS has partnered with the Community Services Board to make available an exciting new tool for giving teachers and other adults who work with students the skills they need to have a conversation about possible mental health concerns. This one-hour, online training, At-Risk for Elementary School Educators, is mandatory for all elementary school administrators and teachers, and should be completed before the end of the first semester. Participation by the librarians, instructional assistants, administrative assistants, and all other caring adults in the school community is strongly encouraged.
- Create an account at http://kognito.com/fairfax (USE INTERNET EXPLORER and disregard the box that appears to use another search engine).
- Must enter school information and employee ID#
- Must enter FCPS e-mail address
- Complete training by February 29, 2016.
- MyPLT credit is awarded upon completion of the training
Please feel free to ask Laura Annett, Jessica Swope or Johanna Rydalch for assistance with completing this training.
- Recruit 10 school representatives to attend the Invest In Kids Rally on Tuesday, February 16.
- Recruit as many people as possible to join the #IamFCPS effort
- Invite the County Board of Supervisors who represent your school families for personal school tours.
- Use crafts and art to help students show that Supervisors is a vital link in our schools' success. (Instructional time should not be spent on items related to the FCPS budget. PTAs, student clubs, and students outside of the school day who wish to conduct creative expressions in support of FCPS are always welcome, as long as any activities could not be interpreted as class assignments.)
A Special Thank You to...
- Melanie Krotz, Maria Shannon and Margaret Pelletier for their support on Sunday to welcome Kaitlin Welch to our school.
- Kaitlin who taught at her previous school on Friday, moved to her new condo on Saturday, came to set up her new classroom on Sunday, then met her new students on Monday. Thank you Kaitlin for your efforts to bring stability to the students of your classroom.
- Lauren Austin, Chris Fisher and Melanie Maahs for supporting the organization and clean up of Kaitlin Welch's class prior to her arrival.
- The Social Committee for organizing a fun week for all those who participated in the Valentine's Day Secret Pal exchange. The big reveal was fun and yummy. You will be hearing more from the Social Committee to plan other fun social events for our school.
Counselor Appreciation Week
Laura Annett and Jessica Swope are a dynamic team as they take care of the hearts, minds and spirits of students when they are feel sad, lonely, or have other significant needs. They do this everyday as a support to the classroom teacher and the families.
- Did you know that you can find these two dedicated counselors with our business partner Messiah Methodist Church as they organize the games and work sent from teachers? Their dedication each Wednesday is to be commended.
- Did you know that Laura and Jessica are the organizers of our Crisis Team? When students or families are in crisis they meet with mental health specialists and other members in order to devise a plan to support.
- Did you know that Laura and Jessica have worked to get outside support for families in need of food and clothes? They have continued the relationship with the Springfield Masonic Lodge in order to provide clothes for students in need of the essentials such as underwear, shoes, and coats.
Laura and Jessica are an integral part of the success of our students. Thank you counselors!
- Snow Day
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Listening) - Grades 1 - 3 (9:30 - 11:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Listening) - Grades 4 - 6 (12:30 - 2:00)
- Strings Rehearsal (9:45 - 10:25)
- Strings Assembly - Gym (10:00 - 10:30 & 7:00 - 7:30)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Reading) - Grades 4 - 6 (12:30 - 2:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Reading) - Grades 1 - 3 (9:30 - 11:00)
- Safety Patrol Meeting (3:00 - 3:40)
February 22 - 26
- Jump Rope for Heart
- Kid Talk Meetings (9:25 - 3:50)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Writing) - Grade 3 (9:30 - 11:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Writing) - Grades 4 - 6 (12:30 - 2:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Writing) - Grades 1 - 2 (9:30 - 11:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Speaking) - Grades 1 - 6 (9:30 - 12:30)
- ERFC Visit in the Staff Lounge (10:00 - 1:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Speaking)- Grades 1 - 6 (9:30 - 3:30)
- SCA Meeting (1:05 - 1:35)
- PTA Meeting (7:00 - 8:00)
- WIDA ACCESS Testing (Speaking)- Grades 1 - 6 (9:30 - 12:30)