February Health and Fitness News
From Kate Lepley, Team Beachbody Coach
Countdown to Warmer Days!
Winter is flying by this year and I just counted only 7 weeks until our Spring Break. I am really looking forward to warmer days and some much needed sunshine! We just had 3 feet of snow here in Baltimore and they are calling for a little more wintry weather this coming week.
Thank goodness for my beachbody workouts! Before these workouts, I was a runner and I loved running outside. I am so glad to have these 30 minute workouts that I can do in my warm house and without the risk of falling or slipping on snow and ice!
This month, I want to share some great recipes with you all that I have tried and loved! Did you know that you can still enjoy sweets while working towards health and fitness goals? If you are following the 80/20 rule------ eating clean, whole, foods, at least 80% of the time------ then you can indulge in some sweets every now and again. The four keys to keeping this real are:
1. Enjoy treats in moderation. Have a small slice of the cake, rather than two or three large pieces. Eat it once and then get back to clean eating--- you might even consider taking the leftovers into work for the break room. Ours is a famous dumping ground for leftover treats.
2. Ask yourself- is this treat worth it? Sometimes, the answer is yes! Your mom's famous cinnamon rolls, baking cookies with your kids, or Aunt Laura's cheesecake. Sometimes the answer is no--- the donuts that are ALWAYS in the break room at work- not a special moment or treat so it can be avoided.
3. Try making cleaner versions of the treats you love! Google and you can find so many delicious recipes for clean treats.
4. Shakeology is my #1 LIFESAVER when it comes to my sweet tooth. It has erased my cravings for junk food and gives me a chocolatey meal that I truly look forward to each day! It is filled with superfoods, and vitamins, and I can truly say that it has transformed my health. My digestive system is regulated, I have been sick only once in 2 years, and I have so much more energy to keep up with my coaching, my full time school counseling job, and my kids and family.
This weekend in Valentine's Day. Go ahead, indulge in sharing a sweet treat with your partner or with your kids. It won't get you off track if you don't allow it to do so! See my recipes below for some great ideas for cleaner sweets to make this week!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 5/8 cup dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 1/4 tsp coconut oil
1. Mix peanut butter and honey together using an electric mixer until thick (approx 1 minute).
2. Roll into balls and freeze for at least 45 minutes.
3. Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Heat in microwave for another minute (or until melted).
4. Let chocolate/coconut oil mixture sit out for approx 10 minutes to slightly harden.
5. Once balls are chilled, dip in chocolate mixture.
6. Place balls into the refrigerator to chill.
Note: I made mine into quarter-size balls which made approx 16-18 balls.
Flourless Chocolate Brownie Muffins
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
3 large eggs
½ cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Place chickpeas, eggs, maple syrup, cocoa powder, baking soda, coconut oil, and extract in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth.
4. Divide batter among 12 prepared muffin cups.
5. Top each muffin with about four chocolate chips; push into batter.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely and enjoy!
Group Support, Deals, and SPECIAL OFFERS!
A new Challenge group starts MONDAY FEBRUARY 15! 30 days to new habits and a new you! This group will focus on finding time in your busy day to workout and eat clean. I will share the strategies and tips that I use, as a busy, full time working mom, with two kids in sports.
* easy weeknight dinners
* How to meal plan to save $$ and time during a busy week
* How to fit in workouts and get the job done
* How to make this an 80/20 lifestyle that you can sustain
* How to get into the best shape of your life and have so much energy!
I have a few spots still open so contact me today to claim yours!
Congrats to our January Contest Winner: Casey C! She won the Hammer and Chisel Program! Way to go Casey!
Refer a friend this month who joins a challenge group and you can be entered to win a $50 gift card! Better yet, grab a few friends and join the group together! I am offering a week of free Shakeology to anyone who joins a challenge group and brings a friend along!
Join my coaching team!
Do you love fitness? Want to make working out and helping others into a business? Contact me today to learn how!
On sale this month: