School Nurse Newsletter
See What a Difference Nurses Make
I hope you are having a wonderful school year. I know you have been super busy with Vision, Hearing, and Scoliosis screenings. This is the first quarterly newsletter going out to school nurses participating in the Health, PE, and School Nurse Contract. Please let me know if I can assist you as you strive to meet the needs of the students and staff on your campus.
Five Ways a School Nurse Benefits the School
Attendance - School nurses improve attendance through health promotion, disease prevention and disease management. Students with a full-time school nurse have about half the student illness- or injury-related early releases from school where no school nurse is present.
Academics – Improved attendance means the healthy student is in the classroom and ready to learn. School Nurses enable better performance, which also contributes to reducing drop-out rates.
Time – School nurses save time for principals, teachers and staff. A school nurse in the building saves principals, teachers, and clerical staff a considerable amount of time that they would have spent addressing health concerns of students. A school nurse in the building saves:
• Principals almost an hour a day
• Teachers almost 20 minutes a day
• Clerical staff over 45 minutes a day
Staff Wellness - School nurses improve the general health of staff. According to school reports, principals, teachers, and clerical staff are VERY satisfied with having school nurses in their schools for several reasons:
• Teachers can focus on teaching
• Office staff spend less time calling parents and sending students home
• Healthy staff means increased attendance and productivity
Accountability - School nurses help schools stay accountable.
• Promoting compliance with federal and state law mitigates lawsuits
• Advocating for adequate staffing aligns with Healthy People 2020 recommendations of the ratio of one school nurse per 750 well students (1:750)
• Preparing for emergencies saves lives and property
• Addressing student mental health links to academic achievement
*National Association of School Nurses
Keeping Students Healthy: website links for School Nurses
November 11, 2015- Healthcare Provider CPR, Session #047744
November 18, 2015- Vision Certification, Session #047692
November 19, 2015- Hearing Certification, Session #047694
December 2, 2015- School Nurses Networking Meeting, Session #048676
January 12, 2016- Vision & Hearing Re-Certification, Session #047696
January 13, 2016- Parenting and Paternity Awareness Training, Session #051936
February 3, 2016- Scoliosis/Spinal Screening, Session #047752
February 10, 2016- School Safety Summit, Session #047680