LOTHROP ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE LEVEL SCHOOL November 9, 2017
- November 14th: Parent Teacher Conferences 3:00 PM-7:00 PM
- November 15th: OVUU Board Meeting 6:00 PM @ Leicester School
- November 16th: Thanksgiving Luncheon
- November 21st: Caring Canines in Library @ 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
- November 22nd-24th-Thanksgiving Break
Veteran's Day Assembly
Exploratories for K-2nd Grades
Scholastic Book Fair
Get ready for a Wild West Scholastic Book Fair! Online Fair Dates are November 3-16. The fair will be open for shopping the nights of the Parent/Teacher Conferences on November 9 & 14. Proceeds from this event will be converted to Scholastic Dollars which Lothrop uses to build classroom libraries and purchase school supplies.
Volunteers are needed to help with this event.
Please contact Kelly Connaughton at Lothroppto@rnesu.org if you can help.
Unified Arts Column
November Physical Education News
Kindergarten - Both classes have perfected Laps in the gym! This includes running when the music starts, staying outside the cones, avoiding collisions, and staying on your feet. It is important to all run in the same direction. When you are tired, you can walk while staying close to the walls. New activities include Jump Jim Joe, a partner dance where you try to take turns with as many classmates as possible. Turkey Tag was introduced this past week. We are beginning to learn how to rotate through Stations; such as Balance Beam / Hopscotch, Hoops, Jump Ropes, Paddles and Balloons.
1st & 2nd Grades - All grade K-2 students had the opportunity to participate in a Gymnastics Obstacle Course as part of our Wednesday Exploratories. Students rolled down the “cheese mat”, balanced on the beam, performed animal walks, practiced jumps and controlled landings, and took turns on the rope swing. We will do more of these activities this winter. For now, we are hoping that continued pleasant weather will give us more time to work on our soccer skills while participating in such games as Traffic Police and Solar System Soccer.
3rd & 4th Grades - Weather permitting we will continue refining soccer skills through modified and small sided games. Indoors at this grade level students are reviewing and learning a variety of large group games; Team Bowling, Battleship, Swamp Ball, and Monarch. While not a major instructional unit, these games become options on earned choice days. More about “choice days” in future issues.
5th & 6th Grades - Based on results of a student survey, we are spending the next few classes playing Soccer. The focus is on game play with teams of around 8 players. It is an opportunity to demonstrate knowledge of positions, basic rules and strategies, as well as skills acquired in earlier grades. It is a pleasure to observe this higher level of play! We will try to be outdoors until Thanksgiving, so warm clothing is recommended. There is the possibility that we will be able to also devote some time to Flag Football, beginning with basic positions, terminology, and executing “plays”.
Rock Climbing Team
Pirates of Penzance News
We had our second week of auditions and the students that tried out for main roles have really impressed us! All casting will be finished before the Thanksgiving break and students will get a call letting them know what parts they are cast in. ALL 3/4 students will have a chance to participate in the production. We have a pirate chorus, a daughter chorus and Police chorus so there are plenty of parts outside of the main roles! We will keep you posted on rehearsals after the Thanksgiving break.
Any questions feel free to contact the Director- Mr. Houston, Musical Director- Ms. Mader, or Producer- Kelly Connaughton.
- The Yankee Candle website will be available to order from until January 11, 2017. Profits for orders placed there will benefit the Lothrop PTO.
- The Laundry Detergent, Believe and Yankee Candle orders will need to be picked up by an adult. As soon as the dates are known a notice will be sent home.
- The PTO would like feeback from the Lothrop Community on whether they are interested in PTO meetings on Facebook Live or would rather get unapproved minutes sent electronically to keep folks informed on what is happening in the PTO? Please feel free to contact any of the officers or email@example.com
The PTO is Looking for Volunteers
- The PTO would like to provide dinner for the teachers on the two Parent Teacher evenings in November (11/9 and 11/14). If you are interested in helping with this please contact Stacey Pearsons at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call 802-353-0491.
- Volunteers will also be needed for the Thanksgiving Luncheon on 11/16. Please let Sara Eddy in the office know if you will be able to help collect money that day.
Thank you very much!
Amazon Smile- It is "Wicked" easy!
Did you know that the Lothrop PTO is a charitable organization on AmazonSmile?
AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets you enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The shopping experience is identical to Amazon.com with the added benefit that the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from eligible AmazonSmile purchases to charitable organizations selected by customers.
No need to create a new Amazon account, simply go to smile.amazon.com and search “Pittsford Parent-Teacher” and login to your existing account. This is an extremely easy way to support Lothrop students. With the holidays quickly approaching we hope all who utilize this shopping site will connect with us on AmazonSmile so we can reap the benefits this site has to offer. Thank you!
Four Winds Nature Institute
Pittsford Holiday Craft Show
Two floors of local vendors! Join us and get your holiday shopping done, Cash Raffle, food, handmade goods! Proceeds from the event benefit the Pittsford Christmas for Kids Fund.
Contact: Kelly Connaughton, email@example.com, 483-6351.