St. Damian School
Lancer Home Connection
Parent/Teacher Conferences November 12, 2020
Parents Interact with The Archdiocese
Please take a moment to read the notes from the meeting below:
The Archdiocese of Chicago had asked each school to select 2 parent volunteers to attend a webinar, last week. The webinar touched on the subjects of: Current cohorts and the upcoming holidays.
I would like to share with you what the parent volunteers learned in the webinar.
St. Damian families, teachers and faculty are doing a great job making sure everyone is following all COVID procedures. The cohorts are working! The Archdiocese and our staff at St. Damian appreciate the positivity and support.
As you know, we are e-learning January 4th – 18th, 2021. This decision was made to protect our families as we head into the holiday season. It is now more important than ever to continue following the procedures that have been put in place.
Here are some suggestions to stay healthy throughout the holidays and keep our children in school:
Please continue wearing masks, everywhere you go
If you are at a sporting event that is low risk, avoid attending gatherings after the event because that can be high risk
Continue to monitor your child’s temperature, daily
If your child needs to be tested for COVID, please notify St. Damian School immediately. Your child will need to stay home until you receive a negative test result, or your child & family members have quarantined for 2 weeks
Knowing family is important and what the holidays are really about, the Archdiocese encourages you to plan small gatherings at Christmas, when there is already a mandatory 2-week quarantine plan in place
If you do travel over the Thanksgiving holiday, please quarantine your child for 2 weeks to keep your child’s cohort safe.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the main office. Thank you to the parent volunteers for attending the webinar and sharing this information.
The Archdiocese Visits St. Damian School
- All students, faculty and staff were observed wearing masks at all times.
- Safety posters and floor decals prominently displayed throughout school.
- Plexiglass partitions installed in office area and other appropriate locations.
- Hand sanitizer available throughout building and outside every classroom.
- All classroom desks are properly spaced and facing the same direction with proper distance between teacher and students.
- This includes preschool / kindergarten classroom and sleeping mats.
- All but one cohort has enough space in classroom to eat and still adhere to 6-foot distancing.
- Largest cohort moves to lunchroom to eat, which provides additional space for proper distancing.
- The school is comfortable with how lunch is going.
- Arrival / Dismissal
- Utilizing six different doors with staggered drop-off times depending on grade.
- Aid perform wellness check at door and then student goes straight to class room.
- Before / After care
- School has sufficient room and staff to handle the current demand and adhere to safety guidelines.
Thank you again for your willingness to work with us!
No School, Professional Development, November 13, 2020
Throughout the Archdiocese, consistent with cases throughout the year, most situations involve individuals who become infected outside of school. We want to encourage you all to continue to be very vigilant and limit gatherings, keep your masks on, and just be safe. We appreciate you all keeping your children home even if they have the sniffles. We appreciate you communicating with us even if you think you have been exposed in the tiniest way. We appreciate your open communication! We are one team! We are Damian Strong!
As the numbers rise, we want to continue to ask you to please use caution in everything you do. We want to keep your children in school with us. We ask that you review the travel ban information and be cautious when you think about planning gatherings or other outdoor activities. We know that with the winter months approaching it will be more difficult, but, let's hope and pray that if we all do our part, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Just follow this link for more information!
St. Damian School
Saint Damian School ensures individual students reach their potential through the development of their Catholic faith, character, citizenship and academics.