SHINEtastic Kids News
Weekly classroom news created by students
- We are wrapping up reading Because of Winn Dixie. We have explored characters, what causes a character to change, theme, and main idea and supporting details. Each day we've worked on writing, too.
- We are wrapping up unit 6 on equivalent, simplified, and comparing fractions.
- We will begin unit 7 on Wednesday. Unit 7 is all about adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions.
- We are investigating Matter and Energy in class!
- In social studies, students are learning about European explorers with Mrs. Dauphinet.
- Thank you to Cassie for sending in snack!
- January bulk snack (granola bars, animal crackers, pretzels, Goldfish, etc) will be provided by Madeline.
- February bulk snack is provided by Jonathon's family.
- On that note, please remember that these snacks are for when kids forget their snack at home. Please continue sending your child with a snack daily as we have a later lunch.
- My last day will be February 6th. Ms. Henry will be taking over on the 7th. Thank you so much for all of your support from home. I will miss every child in here so much, and will be back to visit periodically. It's been an absolute joy to be with them each day, helping them to grow!
- Please contact me through email email@example.com or through our Class Dojo messaging anytime.
- Thank you for all you do to support your child at home. I am enjoying working with all learners, they are an outstanding group!
Our Daily Schedule
Day 1: Library 10:00-10:45
Day 2: Music 10:45-11:15
Day 3: PE 10:10-10:55
Day 4: Art 10:00-10:45
Day 5: Music 10:45-11:15
Day 6: PE 10:10-10:55
Band lessons are from 8:15-8:45 am
Day 1: Trombone
Day 2: Trumpet & Chorus
Day 3: Flute
Day 4: Baritone
Day 5: Saxophone
Day 6: Clarinet and Strings
Sign Ups For Snacks and Parties Below
Snack Donation Sign Up From Open House
If you would like to donate a snack for us to keep on hand for those who forget, but weren't able to, please feel free to send one in at any point and we will keep it on hand. If there's ever a surplus, we can always use it during a read-a-thon or special school day event.
Valentine's Day Party
Baked Good: Jonathon
Healthy Snack: Naji
Juice Boxes or Pouches: Collin
Plates & Napkins: Tylor
More About Our Classroom
Gardner Road Folder: Students are required to bring their folder back and forth between school and home daily. Please check the folder daily for classwork and homework. Our grade typically sends home math review and each child should read a minimum of 20 minutes each day from a book of their choice.
Birthdays: Celebrating birthdays is always wonderful! Please let me know in advance for when you want to send in a birthday treat and include napkins for students. Currently we have 24 learners in our room!
Chorus: All fourth graders participate in chorus and there will be concerts in December and May. Chorus is facilitated by our music teacher, Mr. Hamilton. The concerts are always stellar!
Band and Orchestra: Every student has the opportunity to participate in band or orchestra lessons for 30 minutes once in a 6-day cycle. You'll receive information from Mr. Hamilton or Mrs. Matthews soon. If your child is interested in band or orchestra and hasn't signed up, please contact me.
First Activity: In the first week of school your child will have the opportunity to bring in a few items that tell about who they are and their interests during an activity called, "All About Me!" It's a great way for learners to connect and get to know one another. If your child is interested, they can gather items in advance. On 9/7, I'll send home this information along with a brown paper bag to store items.
S.H.I.N.E. is an acronym that breaks down to:
Watch the video below to learn from last year's students, Emelia and Lily!
Welcome! (Beginning of the Year Message)
Welcome to fourth grade! My name is Mrs. Bostwick, and I will be your child’s teacher. I’m very excited to collaborate with you and work with your child this school year. I’m entering my 14th year in education and each year I’m eager to get to know my new team of students and support them in their learning journey.
Fourth grade is an incredible year that’s filled with many adventures in learning. I am confident that all learners and their families will enjoy coming to school and participating in activities. I look forward to getting to know each of my students and their families. As a parent myself, I realize that teaching your child is a tremendous responsibility and I assure you they will be provided with a safe, nurturing, and enriching learning experience.
In my classroom, I take a hands-on approach to learning. Students will be provided with a flexible learning environment that inspires creativity and innovative thinking. Students will collaborate to solve problems and engage in discussions around relevant topics to gain a deeper understanding.
The parent-teacher relationship is a vital component for maximum academic success for your child. Hearing input from you on anything you’re interested in sharing with me about your child to ensure they receive all of the support, and appropriate challenge that will enable them to reach their fullest potential as a fourth grader is always appreciated. Throughout the year I will communicate through our online newsletter, and Class Dojo, in addition to our open house and parent/student/teacher conferences. Once our Class Dojo is set up, you'll receive information to join. Each week I'll be sending a link to our newsletter with updated information. Be on the lookout because after we adjust to the new year, students are the creators of the newsletter through videos and pictures. It's a lot of fun, and I can't wait to get started!
I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at any time.
Mrs. Elisabeth Bostwick
My favorite color is turquoise and I enjoy spending time with family and going to the beach. My favorite book is, "What Do You Do With An Idea." I'm passionate about education and creating the best learning experiences for kids!
Nolan (11), me, Julian (14), and Mr. Bostwick in South Carolina this summer.
Arie, Bella, and Marley. These three love each other!