By Risaa. Kajendrarajah
Why Homelessness Is An Important Issue
Homeless in all over Canada
- Did you know that...there are about 5,000 people in Toronto and about 200,000 Canadians who have experienced homelessness each year.
- The percent of homeless people between the ages 16 and 24 is 25 to 40 percent.
- 40 percent of the homeless are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, or transgender.
- 6,000 to 22,000 people of the homeless are called episodic homeless because they are people who move into and out of homeless shelters multiple times over several years.
why people chose to be homelessness?
- They have been abused by there parents.
- They don't want to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, or transgender so they run out of the house.
My plan of action
- What you and I can do about homelessness
- Raise more money to build homeless shelters in Canada.
- Make friends with one homeless person and maybe invite them over to a restaurant.
- Make things with messages about homelessness and sel in t for a dollar or two.
A few organizations that are helping homelessness in Canada.
- salvation army-Canada
- out of the cold-Toronto
- young parents no fixed address-Toronto
- inn from cold-Calgary
- hope mission-Edmonton
What each organization is doing
- The salvation army has been working in Canada since 1882.This organization helps more then 400 communities in Canada.
- Out of the cold offers shelter and hospital services to those who find them self homeless and not for those who chose to be.
- Young parents no fixed address is an organization in Toronto which provides services to pregnant woman and children who are homeless.
- Inn from the cold opened in Calgary in 1996/1997. Many of the city's churches ad mosques allow the homeless to stay in during the day.
- Hope mission is providing hot meals and dry shelters for the homeless to stay in.
- Ottawa-cities across the country are seeing the population of homeless shrink thanks to the federal government. They provided permanent housing to those living there lives wandering on the streets.
- Edmonton lowered 20 percent of homelessness thanks to the municipal government.
- The provincial and territorial governments of Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver are fundraising to give money to some homeless.
Point of views
I feel that without a home life is not safe, fun, and enjoyable.I feel bad for those who do not choose to be homeless but are homeless for many different reasons.Also being homeless doesn't let you live the life you wanted to have or enjoy so instead there you are wandering around the streets begging for money.
Every day peoples point of view...Everyone needs a home because with out a home it is like living with no life.
Governments point of view..Governments feel that it is important to have a home because once you choose to be homeless it is less likely to get back to living in a normal house or apartment.