Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 17
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, Jan. 20, 27 - 11:40 Dismissal. Please remember to pack a snack.
- Monday, Jan. 23 - Kick off for Literacy Week: Monday Muffin Mingle. Come read with your child in the classroom from 8:00-8:20.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25 - School Spirit Day: Dress up as your favourite book character.
- Thursday, Jan. 26 - FUN LUNCH & Family Board Game Afternoon from 2:00-2:55.
- Tuesday, Jan. 31 - NO SCHOOL
- Friday, Feb. 3 - FULL DAY
- MORNIN MUFFIN MINGLE: Monday, January 23 kicks off our start to Literacy Week. Monday will be our Monday Muffin Mingle from 8:00-8:00. Please join your child in their classroom for a story and a muffin.
- BOOK SWAP: As part of literacy week, Aspen Grove will be hosting a Book Swap. This event will take place on Thursday, Jan. 26. If your family has any books that have been outgrown, previously read or perhaps is not a favourite your child can donate them to the Book Swap. Books need to be appropriate for K-8 readers and be in good condition. Students can choose a maximum of 6 books at the book swap but can donate as many as they like. Anything donated above and beyond 6 books will be considered a donation.
- FAVOURITE BOOK CHARACTER: Wednesday, Jan. 25 is Favourite Book Character Dress up Day. Please take the time to discuss your child's favourite book character and create, together, a simple costume that allows them to dress up like this character for the day. If your child has a favorite book with this character they can bring the book in for the day to share with friends.
- BOARD GAME AFTERNOON: Thursday, Jan. 26 is Family Board Game Afternoon. You can come join us for a board game or card game from 2:00-2:55. If you would like to host a game please fill out the bottom portion of the letter regarding literacy week, that was sent home on Friday.
- LITERACY CHALLENGE: As a challenge we are asking students to shut off their TV and read. For every 5000 minutes read in the school, students will earn two letters in the word LITERACY. If students can earn all the letters, which equals a total of 20,000 minutes, they will earn a school wide Pyjama day. Please see the letter send home if you would like more details.
- LITERACY & NUMERACY BACKPACKS: We have started our Literacy and Numeracy Backpack Program. These backpacks are designed to be fun and informative ways for families to share literacy and numeracy learning experiences at home. Please watch for this when it is your child's turn. These will go home on a rotating basis. Students will take them home on Monday and then return them on Thursday of the same week. Please ensure they are returned by Thursday so we can clean and prepare them for the next student. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
- WATER BOTTLES: Please try to send a water bottle to school with your child. Staying hydrated is important and works best if it is readily available to the students.
Here are a few things that have been "happening" in the classroom. These are great discussion starters with your child.
1) Talk about the new characters we were introduced to for the following letter combinations: or (Orty Orsen), and ar (Arnie Aardvark). Have your child show your their gestures and them come up with some words that have these sounds.
2) Get your child to write you a sentence with our sight word "are." Have them complete a 4 point check.
3) In class we have been counting by 2s, 5s and 10s. Have your child show you how they do this.