Ms Greenlee's Class
2G at American School of Doha
Dates to Remember:
17 December - Pajama Day
17 December- Class party 2:15-3:00 -- a little celebration before the holidays
15 December -Tuesday -full school day - dismissal at 3 pm
5 January- Tuesday will also be a full school day -- dismissal at 3 pm
The two dates above are to make up for the lost day (instructional time) on November 25.
2G Has a New Room Parent
Being a room parent is a job not many are available to do, and 2G is very lucky that Mrs. Frisbie is stepping up to the plate. Thank you to Gabbi's mom!
Brief Subject Updates -- Click on buttons below to open parent letters for each subject
- Math: This week we continued to develop our understanding of parallel lines and square corners. Students will be learning to partition shapes into equal portions called fractions, mostly into halves, thirds and fourths. We will continue to work on fractions up until our winter break.
- Reading: We continued to grow our knowledge this week by reading across two or more books on the same topic. Readers were thinking and talking about how information can be both the same and different. They noticed together how both mentor books had information about where tigers live and kinds of tigers, but the information was presented differently. Next they read independently across a topic and finally, during share time, they presented what they’d noticed in their own books.
- Writing: This was a week spent fancying-up our informational books. Students were using check-lists to reflect on their own writing and helping their partners make sure that if revisions were necessary, the revisions were made. Students learned about topic-specific language (lingo) and made sure to use some.Once editing was finished, students worked to add color to their illustrations and made covers. I'm looking forward to my final reading of their work. It's been both interesting to learn about the variety of their interests and rewarding to see their growth as writers.
- Science: This week in our Weather Unit students learned about air having temperature and the tool we use for measuring it. In the science lab they read thermometers and discussed which range of temperatures are considered hot, warm, cold, and freezing.
There are two upcoming movie nights both organized by high school students for their service learning projects. The outdoor movie RIO is on Dec 10th, proceeds benefit Syrian Refugees. The rescheduled Minion movie will now be on Dec 15th. If you previously purchased tickets you may attend, ask for a refund, or donate that money to the cause. If your child did not sign up but would like to they may still do so. Please stay tuned for paper clarification, most likely to go home next week.
Tuesday After School Activity Pick Up
Parents picking up students from After School Activities on Tuesdays should enter through Gate 8. A kind reminder to all parents to bring and display your ASD Dragon Card at all times while on campus.
ASD 2016 Calendars FOR SALE!
The 2016 ASD Calendars will be for sale in the Elementary Office starting Sunday December 6th. These make great gifts for friends and family, get yours today!
As we are currently studying place value, please try the lessons listed under Place Value heading. Be aware that in grade two, we're working with numbers up to 1,000. A good place to start is M.1
Information From Our Nurses
There are students in your child’s class who have nut allergies. A child with nut allergy can develop mild or severe reactions if they come in contact with the said allergen. Please take note of the following measures:
· Please be considerate of your child’s classmates when sending in snacks (if possible, to avoid sending any nuts or nut products)
· Children should be encouraged to wash their hands before and after lunch, prior to returning to the classroom to avoid any cross-contamination.
· For any special occasions, please be reminded that any food brought in to the class should be nut free.