This Week in Geometry
January 18 - January 22
A couple things to keep in mind:
1. If you see an (*) in the grade book, this grade is NOT missing. The grade book system defaults an assignment as missing if there is no grade entered. This star in the grade book means that a student was absent or simply that I have not entered those grades yet. This grade is not hurting your students grade as of now.
2. If you see a zero (0), the assignment is missing and is hurting your student's grade. This is an assignment that was either not turned in or was turned in with no name on it. Your student needs to make every effort to get this assignment turned in.
We are skipping unit 6 for now, as it was decided this summer that unit 6 is better suited to be done later in the year, so that will happen closer to the end of the year, so students will be better prepared for it when the time comes.
STAAR and STAAR Review
As you know, Geometry students in 8th grade are still required to take and pass the 8th grade STAAR. I am not worried about any of my Geometry students and their ability to pass the test. But, there are some topics that are covered in 8th grade math that were not covered in Algebra last year and that are not covered in Geometry this year. I have sent and will continue to send home some STAAR review packets each week in an attempt to make sure that students know these concepts. So far, students have completed Real Numbers/Ordering Numbers and are working on Scientific Notation. The scientific notation packet was sent home last Thursday and will be due this Thursday, January 21. I will be sending home the next packet at that time.
As always, if a student needs any help at all, they are more than welcome to come during tutoring to ask questions. Also, they may ask questions before/after class over these packets. Finally, there is an online sticky note board posted in blackboard where they can post questions over the STAAR reviews.
STAAR Dates (for your reference):
Tuesday, March 29: 8th grade Math (and 7th grade Writing)
Wednesday, March 30: 8th grade Reading
Monday, May 9: 7th grade Math
Tuesday, May 10: 7th grade Reading
Wednesday, May 11: 8th grade Science
Thursday, May 12: 8th grade Social Studies
Copies of Assignments
1. I post copies of all daily work and notes pages on blackboard. Students should be able to access them anywhere they have Internet connection. Also on blackboard is a calendar where I post daily entries with detailed descriptions of what was done in class that day. I also post pictures of my notebook on blackboard so that students can see any notes they have missed.
2. I attach copies of anything that is a daily grade in skyward as well. Students (and parents) can access these files.
3. Students can ask me for any work they missed as well, but this method is not the quickest way to get work, as it usually has to wait until there is a chance during class for me to pull that work.
Students are responsible for keeping up with their notebooks and making sure they get any missed notes if they are absent. They are also responsible for getting their missing work.
Tests will NOT be posted online, so if a students misses or needs to retake/correct a test or quiz, they will need to come to tutorials.
This Week In Geometry
- There is a quick write on Blackboard that was assigned Friday. Students need to complete this as soon as possible, as I will be grading it tomorrow morning and I don't want anyone to earn a zero (quick writes go in the grade book as quiz grades)
- We will be continuing our Unit 5 discussion of right triangles
- Friday will be the end of the three weeks. I will email progress reports either Friday or Saturday
- Next test date: Thursday, January 28