Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203: Week of March 14
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are continuing folktales. This week we are reading Pourquoi Tales, which are origin stories such as "How Zebras Got their Stripes." Students are using graphic organizers to retell story elements (character, setting, problem, solution). MyON has a wonderful selection of fables your child can read at home. Simply search "fables" and you'll see the collection of 14 books. Email me if your child hasn't memorized their MyON login.
- Writing- We are writing fables and fairy tales using the features we've learned in Reading/Daily 5.
- Math- We are creating rectangular arrays by partitioning rectangles into rows and columns. We are describing the arrays using repeated addition equations.
- FUNdations- We are starting Unit 13 which focuses on the vowel teams oa (boat), oe (toe) and ow (snow). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- We are learning about sound via Dr. Bob Moog's Sound School and starting to practice our Sound Song for our Orange Peel performance on April 11 at 9:15 a.m.
- Social Studies- We are learning about how different cultures influence communities.
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
- Friday, Mar. 25- No School (teacher work day)
- Mon., Mar. 28th - Fri., Apr. 1: Spring Break
- Thurs., Apr. 7th: PTO Meeting 6 pm at the Burton Street Community Center
- Sat., Apr. 16th: 5:30 pm ACS Foundation fundraiser Celebration of Champions - get tickets here!
- Sat., April 16th: 9am-noon Spring Grounds Work Day
- Mon., Apr. 18th: Last Day of Spring After School Arts
- Mon., Apr. 18th: Individual and Group Picture Day
Snapshots of Learning from last week ✏️
Comparing all the different versions of Cinderella
Reading Smoky Mountain Rose with a Smoky Mountain background
Excited about a brand new animal book!
Filling out their first resume at the Career Fair.
Listening to the police officers
Wish List 🌟
Crackers, fruit, veggies, and individual wrapped snacks are wonderful. No nuts, please :)
We would love to add these to our leadership notebooks
Sandwich size slider bags
These are easier for kids to open and close when getting out Fundations magnets
Positive Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.