The Miller Times
May 30 - June 2
Sorry, I have been behind on the communication. Spring has been busy busy. Here is the recap of what has been happening and what is coming up.
Last few weeks...
- Finished 3 weeks of testing with MSTEP and NWEA. The kids worked really hard and all showed good growth! We were well above the state and district averages in growth for both Math and Reading on NWEA. Good job!
- Got the final results from the Meijer's Film Contest. We were awarded $900 in grant money for the class! The students are deciding how to best utilize that money now and we are making progress on those tough decisions. The student's whos videos represented the class as finalists are going to Grand Rapids this weekend. Look for articles about it in the Chelsea Update this week or next!
- Awesome field trip to the Lugnuts Game. We avoided the rain for the most part and had a really fun day on the diamond. Thanks for all the parents that helped things go smoothly.
- Future Bulldog Night at the Girls Varsity Soccer game was a blast. Over 50 kids made it out including 5 from our class. Thanks for the support!
- Fruit and veggie month is wrapping up today. We have a fun assembly planned for tomorrow. It should be a blast!
- Friday June 2nd is the PTO Ice cream social. It begins at 5:30; if you are available to volunteer please contact Denise at email@example.com.
- Wednesday June 14th is the 4th grade swimming party. More details will follow.
- I am working on a walking field trip to North Creek to present collaborative poetry projects. I will keep you in the loop.
- These last weeks I am not going to give homework. I would prefer that they continue to read consistently to keep good habits going into the summer, I have found that the negative impacts outweigh the gains with homework this time of year. If a student does not finish something in class and needs to use home tie I will ask that as needed.
- June 16th half day, last day. 11:11 release.
Lugnuts Class Picture
More accurate Lugnuts Class Picture
Scholastic Book Orders
What are we learning?
Writing - We are working on writing literary essays from short stories.
Social Studies - We are starting to look at the regions of the US. We are working on focused projects to dig deeper into these subjects.
Reading - We are working on figurative language, allusions in myths, and poetry.
Word Work/Grammar -We are working grammar and parts of speech
Help on Math Homework
Tuesday - Physical Education
Wednesday - Art
Thursday - Physical Education
Friday - Music