LoES Eagle News
March 2, 2018
A Message From Our Administrative Team
It is hard to believe that we are already into the month of March and in just a few short weeks Spring will be here. We are moving into a busy time of the school year as teams prepare for field trips, students prepare for standardized testing and teachers look to finish the school year on a strong and positive note. There are also a variety of updates and upcoming events that we want to ensure our community is aware of. First, we have previously shared that our Assistant Principal, Ms. Wright, will be taking a leave of absence over the next couple of months as she recovers from a recent medical procedure. We look forward to Ms. Wright returning to LoES in the Spring. During her absence, Ms. Baker will serve as a substitute administrator supporting the staff, students and families within our LoES school community. Ms. Baker's technology classes will continue as a long term substitute will carry on with weekly technology instruction for our students.
Additionally, we would also like to share with the LoES community that, in collaboration with our LoES PTA, we will be engaging in a Kindness Campaign at Longfellow Elementary School. Beginning the week of March 19th, the faculty, staff and students will promote kindness in a number of different ways throughout the week. With the recent tragedy in Florida and school safety continuing to be a priority in schools across HCPSS and other school districts throughout the country, we wanted to create opportunities for our students, staff and community to come together and celebrate kindness. Additional details will be coming soon and we look forward to encouraging our young people to not only be good students, but also good human beings. Please take a moment to review other news and events relevant for our school community below.
- Monday, March 5th - 2018-2019 Kindergarten registration opens (see below)
- Monday, March 5th through Thursday, March 8th - MISA Testing for Grade 5
- Tuesday, March 6th - Family FIT Night at LoES (see flyer below)
- Thursday, March 8th - Progress Reports issued to Students (revised date)
- Sunday, March 11th - Daylight Savings (Spring Ahead)
- Tuesday, March 13th - The University of Rochester Yellow Jackets come to LoES (see below)
- Wednesday, March 14th - PTA Meeting beginning at 7:00 pm
- Monday, March 19th through Friday, March 23rd - Kindness Campaign at LoES
- Thursday, March 22nd - Family Game Night beginning at 6:00 pm
- Friday, March 23rd - Spring Individual & Class Picture Day
- Friday, March 23rd & Saturday, March 24th - Jungle Book Performance at LoES (see flyer below)
Click HERE to view the LoES Community Calendar for future events
Maker Faire 2018
News & Notes
Updates to the '17-'18 HCPSS Calendar - Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) Interim Superintendent Michael J. Martirano has announced a decision on the days to be used to make up for inclement weather school closings for the 2017–2018 school year. Get more information about the April dates here.
- Community Meetings on School Behavior & Effective Discipline - In an effort to continue community involvement and conversations around students and system policies, the Howard County Public School System, in partnership with the Community Advisory Council, PTA Council of Howard County, Special Education Citizens Advisory Committee, the Council of Elders and the NAACP of Howard County, will host several community dialogues on Student Behavior and Effective Discipline. HCPSS parents, students, staff and members of the community are invited to attend as active participants. Learn more about the planned meetings here.
- Kindergarten Registration - Parents/guardians of children who will be five as of September 1, 2018 must enroll their children in kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year. HCPSS is now offering parents the opportunity to begin the enrollment process online, followed by completion of the registration process at your child’s school. Parents/guardians are not required to register online and may elect to complete the full registration in person. Please check our online School Locator to determine what school your child will attend. Additional details about online registration can be found here.
- Family Fit Night is coming to LoES - join us on Tuesday, March 6th for Family FIT Night at Longfellow. Those interested in volunteering can use this form to sign up today.
School Safety Forum with Dr. Martirano - The Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) hosted a School Safety and Mental Health Community Forum on Tuesday, Feb. 27, in the wake of the recent tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Six-hundred community members attended the public forum to ask questions and engage in dialogue about solutions to ensuring that Howard County schools are safe and healthy learning environments for children and staff. Read more here.
- Making Summer Vacation Plans? - All 4th grade students can get free access to National Parks throughout the US for a year. Includes everyone in the vehicle. Get more information here.
LoES PTA Corner
- Please follow us on Facebook (Longfellow Elementary School PTA)
- WANTED! We need pictures for the yearbook of any school event (Fun Run, Halloween, field trips, etc.). Please send your pictures to Lisa Wynne @ email@example.com.
- Please consider using the LOES PTA AmazonSmile link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7111263 when doing your online shopping!
- Certifikid (www.certifikid.com) offers many deals on family and kid-only entertainment. Use promo code "LOES" at checkout for any purchases $30 and over to receive $5 off. The best part is Longfellow ES PTA will also receive $5 for every purchase made!
- The PTA Spring Fair Committee is looking for volunteers for the Spring Fair! Saturday, May 12th. Volunteer opportunities include: Set-up/take-down, games, concessions, silent auction, staff raffle/basket organization, ticket sales, advertising, and more! Please contact Brooke Dalesio firstname.lastname@example.org or Lisa Wynne for more info.
- One of our biggest fundraisers for the year, the Silent Auction, happens during the Spring Fair! The Silent Auction helps the PTA meet its budgetary goals so we can continue our support of the students and teachers. Silent Auction donation solicitations will start soon. If you know of any business that may be interested in donating any services or goods, please have them contact us at email@example.com. We are also more than happy to take personal donations of gift baskets, gift cards, or cash to use towards the Silent Auction. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Read-a-thon is coming and we need your help to make it a great event for our students. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Jennie Davidson at email@example.com
- Restaurant Night Fundraisers:
- March 20th - Mod Pizza
- March 22nd - Bistro Lunch Box Food Truck @ Longfellow’s Game Night (Come to Game Night hungry!!)
- LoES Spring Flower and Plant Sale coming soon! Look for the order form in your child's Wednesday folder. Plants will be delivered in time for Mother's Day!
- Look for the Hershey Park Ticket fundraiser order form in your child’s Wednesday folder! Orders are due by Friday, March 23rd.
- Want to try a BJ's membership or need to renew your current one? We will be running our quarterly BJ's Membership fundraiser from March 1-16. For a limited time, BJ's is offering their 12-month, Inner Circle (basic) membership for $25 for NEW customers! Renewing members can renew for 13 months at $40 for the Inner Circle, and $80 for the Rewards Perks memberships. Best news is that LOES PTA will receive $5 for every new and renewed membership! So if you've been thinking about trying out BJ's, now is the time! Please contact Robyn Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
- Thank you everyone who donated baked goods for our teachers appreciation this month! It was a huge success!
Please visit Community News and Programs on the HCPSS website for all announcements of upcoming events and programs sponsored by non-profit organizations. The button above will redirect users directly to the Community News & Programs website.