The Vise Press
October 16, 2015
Monday: Send in 10-12 pictures for the students to share with the class.
Friday: Students will read a book aloud to the class and they may bring an item for Show and Tell.
We have been learning about how to combine materials to make them stronger. We spent this week planning, building, and "blowing down" our houses to test their strength.
The students did a great job working in collaborative teams to design and create a house to withstand an outside force!
The teachers spent Monday learning about Reading Workshop. The students are in love with this new structure! We do a mini-lesson, then the students get about 20-30 minutes to go and read a chapter book and document their thinking with sticky notes! THEY ALWAYS ASK FOR MORE TIME...READING ROCKS!
Red Ribbon Week
Monday, October 26th - "We have the power to stay drug free"
Dress as your favorite super hero
Tuesday, October 27th- "Drugs and I don't mix"
Mix it up dress and mix it up at lunch sitting by someone new! Wednesday, October 28th- "Sock it to drugs"
Wear your silliest socks and show your support of Red Ribbon Week.
Thursday, October 29th- "Put a cap on drugs"
Wear your brightest or funniest or just your favorite hat today!
Friday, October 30th- "Drugs are Crazy!" and "Our Team is Drug Free!"
Crazy Hair and Team/Spirit Shirt
Veteran's Day Program
Report Cards will be available through your student's Google Drive on Wednesday. Please view this document to see how your child is progressing in 2nd grade. :) These are live documents that will be updated as we work through the standards. Your login can be found in your child's red take home folder. The email address is their email@example.com. :) The password is exactly as it is listed on their login cards.
GCISD SBRC Parent Guide - https://goo.gl/xXP5NB
GCISD SBRC Instructions for Parents - https://goo.gl/9spGC3
What: A hands-on educational experience to Legoland that will support many science and inquiry standards.
Where: Legoland at Grapevine Mills and Dove Park
When: November 4th (Monday and Forms are due OCTOBER 30th)
Don't forget to send students with a sack/disposable lunch and a class shirt! All students will need to wear socks that day!
October 21st- Report Cards available in Google Drive
October 23rd - SPIRIT DAY!
October 26th - Red Ribbon Week
October 30th - Dad's Club Campout/SPIRIT DAY!
October 30th - FIELD TRIP MONEY AND FORMS DUE
What Will We Learn Next Week???
- Students will be able to write a 3 digit number in word form, standard form, and expanded form.
- Students will be able to compare and order 3 digit numbers.
- Students will be able to locate 3 digit numbers on a number line.
Language Arts (including Social Studies):
- Students will be able to retell and summarize their reading.
- Students will be able to revise drafts by adding or deleting words, phrases, or sentences.
- Students will be able to edit drafts for grammar and punctuation.
- Students will be able to spell words with consonant suffixes.
- None due to CogAT.
Last Minute Items:
- Make sure to follow us on Twitter @lvisegcisd and @bestexans! There have been many amazing classroom moments captured and posted on Twitter this week! You can also search for us on Twitter by using the hashtag #visewildthings
- Don't forget to sign up for Remind 101 for text message reminders! To receive messages via text, text @mrsvise1 to 81010. You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @mrsvise1'.
- Please remember to get your background check done. Every volunteer and/or adult planning to attend a field trip need to have this completed. It takes 10 days to process. Thank you for doing this in a timely manner.
- Don't forget that you can access our grade level homework, In a Snap words, and our curriculum anytime on our website.