Counting on You
Information for New and Returning Counting on You Teachers
Literacy and Numeracy Support for Our Students
Which students will benefit from Counting On You?
- students who are achieving (or have previously achieved) below 70% in Language, Math or any other academic subject
- student who struggled with their grade 6 or 9 EQAO tests
- students in grade 9 or 10 who are at risk of failing the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test in grade 10
- students who are at risk of not meeting the curriculum standards in mathematics, reading and/or writing
- any student who simply needs more time and help to meet the curriculum expectations
The Role of the Counting on You Teacher
In order for students to benefit from COY, the program must be responsive to their needs. It is essential that all COY teachers are aware of the specific literacy and/or numeracy needs of their students. This can be done through diagnostic assessment, through observations, and through conversations with the student and the student's subject teacher.
After identifying students literacy and/or numeracy needs, teachers are encouraged to identify and focus on one or two greatest areas of need for each student. Teachers are responsible for planning engaging, rich tasks and classroom activities that focus on addressing the greatest areas of need for the students in their classroom.
Differentiation is key to ensure that needs of all learners in the room are being met and that each student is experiencing success as part of the COY program.
Design a Counting on You Class to Meet the Needs of Your Students
Support is Available
Lead teachers can submit requests to purchase professional resources and money is available in each school's COY budget to purchase materials and consumables. Additional support is available in the areas of promoting the COY program, identifying students' greatest area of need and planning engaging lessons and activities. Help is only an email or a phone call away!
For More Information
905-890-1010 ext. 2538
Follow us on Twitter @COY_Peel