About my Business
- Howard graduated from Northern Michigan University with a bachelors degree in communications.
- in 2014, Starbucks had more than 21,000 stores worldwide and a market cap of $60 million.
- Howard started out working as a appliance salesman for Hammarplast, a company that sold European coffee in the United States.
- Howard noticed that he was selling the most coffee to a small business in Seattle Washington, called ¨Starbucks Coffee Tea and Spice Company.¨
- Starbucks was created in 1971, but 3 college buddies, Jerry Baldwin, Gordon Bowker, and Zev Siegl.
- In 1981, Howard Schultz walked into Starbucks, had his first cup of Sumatra, and he was drawn into Starbucks and joined a year later.
- In 1983, Howard traveled to Italy, in search in Italian coffee beans, he wanted to bring the Italian coffee house back to the United States.
- They called it ¨The third place between work and home¨.
- From the beginning, Starbucks set out to be a different kind of company. They wanted to bring a feeling of connection.
How it all got started!
- Starbucks is named after the first mate in Herman Melville´s Moby Dick.
- Their logo is an inspiration by the sea - featuring a twin-tailed siren from Greek mythology.
- Their mission has always been to inspire and nurture the human spirit - ¨On person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time.¨
- Before Starbucks, there was only instant coffee; they brought real coffee into the world.
- Howard Schultz brought different ideas from across the world, to local stores.
- They started out as 1 little store, began to expand as Howard was CEO of Starbucks, but when Howard left to create his own business, he was begged to come back and buy Starbucks, and run it as his own business.
- Howard Schultz expanded Starbucks worldwide, so that everyone could enjoy the coffee, Starbucks is now serving 80 million people WEEKLY.
- Starbucks now has 21,000 stores world wide!