May 16, 2016
Sacrifice and Love
Note: All italics and CAPS were in original article; not editor's own.
Christ's Loving Sacrifice on the Cross
It will be seen that the glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self- sacrificing love. In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self- renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven; that the love which "seeketh not her own" has its source in the heart of God; and that in the meek and lowly One is manifested the character of Him who dwelleth in the light which no man can approach unto (White, Desire of Ages 19).
The theme of redemption will employ the minds and tongues of the redeemed through everlasting ages. The reflection of the glory of God will shine forth forever and ever from the Savior’s face (White, Reflecting Christ 39).
Christ's Loving Authority
(When Lucifer was convincing half of the angels to submit to him and not Christ’s leadership) the angels set forth that Christ was the Son of God and that He had ever stood at the right hand of God. His [Christ’s] MILD, LOVING AUTHORITY had not heretofore been questioned; and that He had given no commands but what it was joy for the heavenly host to execute (White, Story of Redemption 15) Note: A good model of how Christ, the One in charge, was perceived.
Never more would these unhappy beings [angels] be swayed by the MILD RULE of Jesus Christ. Never more would their spirits be stirred by the deep earnest love (White, The Story of Redemption 26).
Christ: A Model of Love
Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity, and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He who had been in the presence of the Father from the beginning, He who was the express image of the invisible God, was alone able to reveal the character of the Deity to mankind. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men; yet He was the blameless Son of God . . . Tender, compassionate, sympathetic, ever considerate of others, He represented the character of God, and was constantly engaged in service for God and man (White, The Ministry of Healing 418-423)
Ten Things About God’s Love For You
God loves you infinitely and unconditionally.
God has a master plan for all of creation, and you are a part of it. The
plan is unfolding bit-by-bit, even today.
God has a blueprint for your life, which is also unfolding according to His timetable and His methods. A part of that purpose is unfolding today.
God still has more for you to be—He still is working in your life to transform you into the full likeness of Jesus Christ. Today is a day in which God is going to refine you yet a little more and bring you a little closer to His perfection for you.
God has more that He desires to communicate to you about Himself, about yourself, and about His purpose for your life. He has something new to teach you each day.
God has more for you to do in loving outreach to others. God has needs for you to meet in the lives of other people, needs that only you are fully qualified and capable of meeting. He will bring specific people with specific needs across your path today.
God believes in you and in the potential He built into you, and He is working in your life—even today— to bring you to a place of great meaning, purpose and fulfillment.
God has promises of blessings that you haven’t yet experienced , but that are on the way to you. Even now!
God is available to you and accepting of you every second of every day. He is your ever-present help, your, “always and forever” Source of love and grace.
God desires to manifest Himself to you and live in you TODAY. He is your hope. Anchor your soul in Him, and no storm can defeat you.
-- By Charles Stanley
Hot Lunch Wednesday
We will be serving spaghetti this week!
Please see Mrs. Graham or Mrs. Nietling to purchase new Hot Lunch Cards as needed. Cards are $15 each ($3 per meal). Lunch will be prepared each week based on the number of students who have prepaid cards. If you have prepaid, and do not want Hot Lunch for whatever reason, please let your teacher know by Tuesday of that week. This will help us prepare an appropriate amount of food. Thanks! :)
Presidents & Pioneers
8th Grade Fundraiser - Casual Dress Day
Field Trip - to the zoo!
Memorial Day 5K - Northview Fundraiser
We will be participating in the Stride for Strive 5K in Cadillac on Memorial Day (May 30).
- Registration Opens: 7:00 am
- Race Starts: 8:30 am at the Veterans Memorial Stadium at The Cadillac High School
Students and families may race together; the school will also attend the Memorial Day parade as part of this field trip/fundraiser. After the parade, we'll go home and enjoy the rest of Memorial Day with family and friends.
Memorial Day Activities are counted as a half-day on our school calendar. Please let teachers know in case of absence. Thank you!
Student and Adult registration forms have been sent home in Communicators. Thank you for filling these out and sending them back! (You may also register online.)
PREPARING FOR OUR EVENT:
- As we train for the 5K, students may keep gym clothes in a gym locker at school, including tennis shoes, to change into for the workout period. Please speak with teachers if you have any questions regarding training schedules. We encourage you to train with us at school or at home!
- Students will send letters inviting friends and family to sponsor them; all money raised will go towards Northview's operating expenses. These letters were finalized here at school and sent home so that they may be mailed out to friends, family, and neighbors near and far. If you have not seen or sent your family's letters and have questions regarding this, please contact Mrs. Graham or Mrs. Nietling. The students who raise the most money and the students with the most sponsors (in grades 1-4 and in grades 5-8) will receive a $ Meijer gift card.
We Are Learning
Weekly Memory Verses
- Grades 1-4: Please see sheet.
- Grades 5-8: Psalm 150. Please see Scripture Squares on your homework sheet. You may learn your verse from the KJV, NKJV, or NLT. You may be asked to write your memory verses for the Friday test.
Topics and Themes
- Bible: Please see sheet (1-4); Jesus (5-8)
- Mathematics: For current topics and practice materials, please use links below.
- Spelling: See sheet (1-4); Word Study Contracts (5-8)
- Reading: Comprehension and fluency strategies are learned and practiced as we read Pathways books. We extend our usage of these skills during our independent reading time.
- Writing/Grammar: Multigenre projects and (5-8)
- Social Studies: Founding of SDA church; Civil War (5-8)
- Science: Earth Science (Geologic Column, Fossils)
John Ball Zoo Field Trip
Thursday, May 26th, 8am
1300 Fulton West
Grand Rapids, MI
We will take a class on plant and animal connections, then enjoy exploring God's creation.