By: John Allen
The XYZ Affair was a diplomatic incident between French and US diplomats that resulted in the undeclared war known as the Quasi-War.
- Elbridge Gerry
- John Marshall
A armed uprising in 1786 and 1787 by American farmers against state and local enforcement of tax collections and judgments for debt.
- The rebellion started on August 29,1787
- It was started by several factors: Financial difficulties brought about the post-war economic depression, a credit squeeze caused by a lack of hard currency, and fiscally harsh gov't policies instituted in 1785 to solve the state's debt problems.
- The rebellion was named after Daniel Shays, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War.
- Daniel Shays
- James Bowdoin
Angered by an excise tax imposed on whiskey in 1791 by the federal government, farmers in the western counties of Pennsylvania engaged in a series of attacks on excise agents.
- Pennsylvania farmers upset w/ tax on whiskey.
- Farmers refused to pay the tax.
- Rebellion disbanded & farmers pay tax (shows power of new government).
- Thomas Jefferson
- George Washington