Foods For That Picky Eater
By: Brooke Kelch
Banana Bread Recipe
Prep time: about 90 minutes
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ c. sifted flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 c. mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
Equipment and supplies:
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cups and spoons
- small bowl
- medium-size bowl
- large bowl
- bread pan coated with nonstick cooking spray
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Beat eggs well in a small bowl.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, add the vegetable oil. Add the sugar a little bit at a time, and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the mixture in the large bowl and beat well.
- Add some of the flour mixture to the large bowl and beat well. Then add some of the mashed bananas and beat some more. Continue adding flour, then bananas, then flour, then bananas, until everything is mixed in.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 70 minutes.
- Flip your banana bread out of the pan, let it cool for a bit, and cut it into slices to eat and share!
How much does this recipe make?
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
5 g fat
24 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
27 mg cholesterol
155 mg sodium
37 mg calcium
0.8 mg iron
Frozen Yogurt Pops
Prep time: about 1 to 2 hours
- 1 8-oz. container of your favorite flavor of yogurt
- small paper cups
- wooden popsicle sticks (available in craft stores)
- plastic wrap
- Pour yogurt into paper cups. Fill them almost to the top.
- Stretch a small piece of plastic wrap across the top of each cup.
- Using the popsicle stick, poke a hole in the plastic wrap. Stand the stick straight up in the center of the cup.
- Put the cups in the freezer until the yogurt is frozen solid.
- Remove the plastic wrap, peel away the paper cup, and eat your pop!
Serves: 3 to 4
Serving size: 1 pop
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
5 g protein
2 g fat
21 g carbohydrate
0 g fiber
7 mg cholesterol
73 mg sodium
262 mg calcium
0 mg iron
Pasta Salad with Feta, Fresh Vegetables, and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 6
prep time 20 mins
cook time 15 mins
total time 35 mins
What You’ll Need
•1 pound pasta, such as penne, farfalle, or ziti
•1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
•2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
•Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons fresh chives
•1/2 cup roughly chopped Kalamata olives
•1/2 cup thinly sliced red peppers
•1/2 cup thinly sliced green peppers
•1/2 cup finely diced tomatoes
•1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
•1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
•1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
How To Make It
- 1 Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain and rinse in cool water. Set aside.
- 2 Whisk together white balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a medium bowl until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk in chives. Set aside.
- 3 Combine cooked pasta, olives, onions, red peppers, green peppers, and tomatoes.
- 4 Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Fold in feta and Parmesan cheeses. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more dressing, if desired, to taste.
Seven Little Pies
prep time 20 mins
cook time 10 mins
total time 30 mins
What You’ll Need
•Refrigerated pie dough (store-bought or homemade) rolled into a crust about 10 to 11 inches in diameter
•Round cookie cutter (2 1/2 to 3 inches wide)
•Muffin cup liners
•Wire cooling rack
•1/4 cup seedless jam or jelly
How To Make It
- 1 Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Meanwhile, use the cookie cutter to cut out fourteen circles from the dough. Place seven of them on a plate in the refrigerator for the time being.
- 2 Use the remaining circles to create lower crusts for the mini pies by gently pressing each one into the bottom of a lined muffin pan cup and then using a fork to poke holes in the center of the dough to keep if from puffing up will it bakes. Cook the crusts until they turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Then transfer them from the pan to the wire rack to cool.
- 3 For the upper crusts, remove the dough circles from the refrigerator and use a fork to first crimp the edge of each one and then to poke holes in the centers.
- 4 Place the muffin pan upside down on top of the cookie sheet and gently drape each dough circle over the bottom of a muffin cup. Again, bake the crusts until they turn golden brown (about 5 minutes) and then transfer them to the rack to cool.
- 5 Whisk the jam or jelly until smooth and fill each bottom crust with a generous teaspoonful before topping off each pie with an upper crust.
Munch of the Penguins
A little birdie tells us your kids will love making these fruity treats on a chilly afternoon.
To create four, halve two bananas.
Trim dried apricots into feet and a beak for each bird. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips according to the package directions.
Stir in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
Dip each banana into the chocolate as shown, then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Add white chocolate chip eyes and use a toothpick to dab on chocolate pupils. Use more melted chocolate to attach the beaks and feet. Place the penguins in the freezer until the chocolate is set, about 25 minutes.
Blueberry and Maple-Pecan Granola Parfaits
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 parfait, including 1/4 cup maple-pecan granola)
2 cups vanilla fat-free yogurt $
2 cups blueberries $
1 cup Maple-Pecan Granola
Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt into each of 4 parfait glasses; top each serving with 1/4 cup blueberries. Top each serving with 1/4 cup Maple-Pecan Granola, 1/4 cup yogurt, and 1/4 cup blueberries.
Guacamole Chicken Wraps
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wrap)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice $
1/4 teaspoon salt $
1 ripe peeled avocado $
1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomato $
4 green leaf lettuce leaves
4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas $
Place first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in tomato.
Place 1 lettuce leaf on each tortilla; spread about 1/4 cup avocado mixture on each lettuce leaf. Top each serving with 1/2 cup Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken. Roll up. Wrap in foil or parchment paper; chill
Fresh Tomato-Pesto Pizza
Yield: 8 servings
4 cups basil leaves
2 garlic cloves $
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth $
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese $
1 tablespoon olive oil $
1 (1-pound) Italian cheese-flavored pizza crust (such as Boboli)
3 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 2 pounds) $
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced $
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese $1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
Preheat oven to 475°.
To prepare pesto, place 4 cups basil leaves and 2 garlic cloves in a food processor, and pulse 5 times or until coarsely chopped. With processor on, add broth, Parmesan, and oil through food chute; process until well-blended.
To prepare pizza, place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread pesto over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border; top with the tomato, garlic slices, and provolone. Bake at 475° for 12 minutes or until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup basil. Cut the pizza into 8 wedges.
Oat Bran Muffins
Yield: 28 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)
1 cup all-purpose flour $
1 cup whole wheat flour $
1 3/4 cups oat bran
3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup flaxseed
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt $
2 cups shredded carrot $
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple $
1 cup raisins $
1 cup fat-free milk $
1/4 cup canola oil $
2 teaspoons vanilla extract $
3 large egg whites $
1 thin-skinned orange, unpeeled and quartered $
Cooking spray $
Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and the next 8 ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in carrot, apple, and raisins.
Combine milk, oil, vanilla, egg whites, and orange in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add milk mixture; stir just until moist.
Spoon 3 tablespoons batter into each of 28 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake in batches at 375° for 20 minutes or until muffins are browned and spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack.
Layered Fruit Smoothie
Yield: Makes two smoothies (serving size: 2 cups)
1 mango (peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped)
1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt $
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice $
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest $
1 banana (peeled, and chopped) $
10 medium strawberries (washed, and hulled) $
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice $
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest $
In a blender, whirl the mango; 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt; 2 tablespoons honey; the fresh lime juice; 2 ice cubes; and the freshly grated lime zest until smooth. Divide mango-lime smoothie between 2 straight-sided glasses and set aside.
Rinse blender, then whirl the banana; the strawberries; 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt; 2 tablespoons honey; the fresh lemon juice; 2 ice cubes; and the freshly grated lemon zest until smooth. Layer banana-strawberry smoothie onto mango smoothie, gently spooning mixture around inside edge of each glass to create a clean horizontal line.